How long for justice to be served?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Friend of mine served 3 years for an accident where she caused the death of another individual. She wasn't under the influence of anything, but was going a fair bit over the speed limit - something like 50 in a 35? Anyways, 3 years inside, for young girl in her... I wanna say mid-20s with 2 kids. No priors, no intoxicants, and generally a good kid with a solid Christian background. Haven't ever heard her complain that she was done unfairly, either, she admits her mistakes and became a stronger Christian while incarcerated.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So...say someone is driving drunk and kills another person in an accident.
How long is enough for justice to be served?

The wife of a family friend was charged for this...got 15 years and was let out a few days ago after about 4 years being served.

I have pretty mixed feelings to be honest...glad for the family friend to be able to "move forward" with their life but for the victims family...I think thats far from justice.

Thoughts?

Well first we'd have to have a justice system. We don't. What we have is a legal system masquerading as a justice system. Yes they do on occasion manage to deliver justice, but it's incidental to the objective of good order and fiscal concerns.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have mixed feelings too. There is no excuse to drive drunk. To do so is blatant disregard for others. So she got out after serving just over 4 of 15 years...that doesn't seem right. But then, I also really don't see how a period of time, any period of time really, behind bars gives any relief for the victim's family. I mean; what do you do; how do you feel if a loved one is killed by a drunk driver? Do you feel better because they are now behind bars? I don't know what I would feel or if it would make me feel better if I was in this situation and guilty person was locked up for a long time. I can't imagine having a Trooper come to my door to tell me my wife was killed by a drink driver, and then, when it's all over, to find out that they got a fine, had their license taken away for a year, and have to attend the DUI school or something in order to get it back. I'd be outraged. But I also don't know if a long prison sentence would make it better. Maybe the whole thing about locking someone up for a period of time is supposed to be a deterrent, more so than a punishment?

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have mixed feelings too. There is no excuse to drive drunk. To do so is blatant disregard for others. So she got out after serving just over 4 of 15 years...that doesn't seem right. But then, I also really don't see how a period of time, any period of time really, behind bars gives any relief for the victim's family. I mean; what do you do; how do you feel if a loved one is killed by a drunk driver? Do you feel better because they are now behind bars? I don't know what I would feel or if it would make me feel better if I was in this situation and guilty person was locked up for a long time. I can't imagine having a Trooper come to my door to tell me my wife was killed by a drink driver, and then, when it's all over, to find out that they got a fine, had their license taken away for a year, and have to attend the DUI school or something in order to get it back. I'd be outraged. But I also don't know if a long prison sentence would make it better. Maybe the whole thing about locking someone up for a period of time is supposed to be a deterrent, more so than a punishment?

JMO, YMMV but for me? 85% of sentence served. She already had 5 years suspended, so it's really 4 of 20 years. That's 20% and 20% is WAY too low for feloniously causing the death of a 25 y.o. woman while already having warrants out for your arrest on a previous DWI and fleeing the scene of an accident.

Besides, every day she's behind bars is a day she can't hurt or kill someone else.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Further investigation in the case found that Montgomery-Bland had several warrants for her arrest for driving while intoxicated and leaving the scene of an accident.

She also had a bottle of hydrocodone in her vehicle and was “unable to clearly express her actions and comprehend what had happened due to her impairment,” according to the affidavit.

Should have been a whole lot longer. IMO

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have to say 4 years doesn't seem like enough especially considering the other circumstances. I know of a couple people that were killed by drunk illegals that posted bond and were never seen of again. So I guess 4 years is better than nothing.

I would be much more lenient in a situation like Tridiot spoke of vs someone that was already wanted when they committed the crime. It doesn't sound like she ever had any remorse and was just upset about her own circumstances.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom