How many still have your first firearm

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Got my grandad and dad's .22 Remington bolt action Targetmaster after Grandpa died when I was 8. Still have it. A few years later Dad gave me Grandpa's Mossberg 500. I couldn't count the ducks I've killed with it. I still have it, too.

I haven't shot either one of them in a decade, but they're still ready for the field, might get that Remington out next month for a squirrel.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
See how a few have already said their favorite is the first in the favorite thread, do you still have your first.
I still have mine and I'll have to dig it out. Got it probably very early 70's. Stevens crackshot 22.
Unfortunately I don't have any kids and my nephews are either woke or wouldn't appreciate it and would trade it for something stupid. Or just sell it and never think about it.
No. I have my dad's first rifle, a Stevens Favorite in .22LR with the very early internals. He bought it broken when he as 13. It's also the first rifle I shot. I got an Agawam Arms single shot .22LR in 1970 or 71 for Christmas. It was stolen, along with all my other long guns, from hold baggage placed in storage when I shipped overseas from South Carolina in late 1991. And my ex got the first pistol I bought for myself. An Iver Johnson break-top in .38 S&W. Dad got the first rifle I bought myself. It was a 6.5mm Carcano. Replaced by a 1903 Springfield that dad also got, as it was one of the eye-ball heat treated actions that occasionally blew up. Became a wall hanger at his new ranch in the late 70's.

JoeGloker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My first was a Marlin 39A gold trigger for my 5th birthday 1967. Dad also got me a Colt New Frontier.22/.22 mag. when I was 13. My first shotgun was a 16ga single shot. My uncle gave me a Remington 760 in .270 when I was 14 and going out to Meeker Co elk hunting. Still have them all. Wonderfull memories. I was well loved by my family, get tearieyed just thinking of it. Dad and uncles have since passed but oh the memories.! On the elk hunt we were headed west on i70 in a blizzard/ extremely high winds( seven of us in a new Chevy camper special with overhead camper, crowded to say the least ) We stopped at Colby Ks and held the dominoes championship of the world, well the state closed the roads down and what else can you do! Wind was blowing us across two lanes of traffic, talk about puckering up, pinched my uncles new vinyl seats, he was proud of that new truck. We stopped for gas’s on a four-lane highway to fillip with gas and I went inside ( meandering around / will never do that again/ and bought a deck of marked cards so I could hustle my brother) come back outside and the we’re gone. Sit there and waited for what seemed hours and decide to just start walking to Rifle Co down the middle waterway of the interstate, figured they couldn’t miss me if I stayed visible. They got to Rifle and bought groceries, that’s when they realized I was missing. They found me and we headed back to Rifle as I recall. Uncle had them stop at a gun store to buy me some ammo for my new .270 , remember it was Hornady Custom . They parked and as I was getting out the back of the camper to catchup with my dad and uncle, my uncle Bob seen me in his review mirror and thought he would pull a good-one on me and reached down and hit the starter on his truck. He claimed I jumped 12 feet to get back in the camper. Heard that story for the rest of my life. I thank God for the good memories with my family!!!!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom