How many still have your first firearm

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Letfreedomring

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not sure if BB/ pellet guns count, but my first ones were a red ryder and daisy pump that are long gone. The first "real" firearm my dad showed me how to shoot with is a charter arms ar-7 that I still own along with the box and paperwork. Still runs strong and last year I polished all the "patina" off the bolt to help the weakened springs cycle rounds better.

Spitfire

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
My first gun was a Mossberg Model 251C .22 caliber I received as a birthday present from my folks when I was 12 or 13 circa1968-69. Must have shot a hundred bricks of .22 through that rifle. The firing pin finally broke so as a young child I hand wrote a letter to O.F. Mossberg & Sons explaining the need for a new firing pin and enclosed a 5.00 dollar money order. A few weeks later I received a reply back and enclosed was a new firing pin and a check for several dollars as a new one cost about 1.50 back then. Also enclosed was a note thanking me for choosing Mossberg. Sure made a young boy feel pretty important. Sure was different with no email or internet back then. I still have that rifle and it still shoots great.

fishincoop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m 62 and still have my 1st guns:
1. Marlin 22lr bolt action - Christmas gift from parents age 13.
2. REM 1100 LW 20 ga - Christmas age 15.
3. 1981 Browning BPS 12 ga- 1st gun bought with “my summer job money”, still duck hunt with it, toying with adding new barrel with screw-in chokes, synthetic stock, and cerakote the receiver??,

My dad passed about a year ago and me and my 2 brothers each have some of his guns: Browning Challenger I pistol, Browning Sa-22 Belgium, REM 1100 12 ga, marlin 336 30-30,.
Love these 50 yr old guns, still shoot great, and with 4 grandsons I’ll have the joy of passing them down one day.

pbcaster45

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve still got my first centerfire revolver - a Colt Diamondback in .38 Special! Didn’t know much about guns back then but the opening credits in “Brannigan” convinced me to get one!
1E5CE3EE-CFCF-48B6-AF56-E7695FE2AC02.jpeg

Hirschkopf

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes; I do.

First rifle was/is a Ruger 10/22 I received for Christmas in 1974. It has a 0X Weaver scope (probably about 15 mm), that I probably bought at Alco with paper-route and mowing money.

I still have the first rifle I ever shot (inherited from my father); it’s a Winchester Model 67 .22 single shot. I’ve probably put more rounds through that little rifle than any other firearm. As a kid, I used to use .22 short or CB caps to snipe European Starlings and sparrows for my cats.

I’ve only ever parted ways with one firearm. My first pistol was a Ruger Mark II standard. I traded it for a Competiton Target Model with a 2.5-4X Leopold scope in 1992.

Have a few really old firearms. I should ask my dad where he got them. The only one I know the history on is the Ruger .22 LR my maternal grandfather carried to shoot jackrabbits and rattle snakes. Best I can tell, it is a K-22 Outdoorsman made in the 30s.

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ruger Security 6 .357 magnum, stainless, 6-inch barrel, in 1975 while in the AF in Biloxi MS. Still have the receipt. Probably has 10k rounds through it at the Gulfport police range. Never sell it.

Okieprepper

Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty...
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My first one got stolen. It was a Winchester pump .22 with an octagon barrel. Sure wish I still had it.
My first gun was stolen too! A couple of guys I went to junior high with that I thought were "friends" ditched school one day and broke into our home. Fortunately, one of them couldn't keep their mouth shut about it and when word got back to me my Dad sent the police to their house. They admitted to stealing it and told the officers where they left it, which turned out to be in a road side ditch not far from their house. The gun was pretty scratched up when I got it back. Still got it today. Ruger 22 Mark II Standard Model.

Latest posts

Top Bottom