How much capacity is enough?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
imagesCWM977FU.jpg

(just yankin' yer chain man)

Frederick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
5-6 rounds is usually enough for most encounters.

It's very rare to get into a bonafide shootout that involves any reloading at all. Usually the bad guys are running away or the threat is neutralized by the time you get to the 5th or 6th round.

There's a variant of an old saying; the .380 with you is better than the .45 left at home. It's not gonna do you any good to need a gun and not have it. Carry what you're comfortable with. It's a personal decision with no right answer, and you can't predict what situation(s) might arise.

I'd say carry an mag/speed loader or two and you'll be good to go. If that isn't enough, you better be looking for an escape. the idea is self-defense, not to wage a small war.

More is always better, and if it were up to me i'd be carrying an AR-15 with a couple extra mags but that's not realistic.

Frederick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The video pointed out that the skill/training of the defensive shooter made the MOST difference in success.
Reminds me of a question I heard Roger Brown ask:
"Is your gun a weapon or a magic talisman?"

Training is really, really important. But i also believe that one should focus on deescalation, avoidance and awareness, as well. I think some folks in the CCW community focus so much on the gunfight and training with the gun, that they get too proactive and try to get involved in situations where they shouldn't have.

If your goal is self-defense, as i believe it should be, 12 rounds or so should be enough.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Training is really, really important. But i also believe that one should focus on deescalation, avoidance and awareness, as well. I think some folks in the CCW community focus so much on the gunfight and training with the gun, that they get too proactive and try to get involved in situations where they shouldn't have.

If your goal is self-defense, as i believe it should be, 12 rounds or so should be enough.

Looks like your video is a classic case of a "good Samaritan" acting like a gun is a magic talisman, running around in the open, firing "warning shots" as if this posturing will magically make the bad guy put down his gun.

Latest posts

Top Bottom