How often do you "freshen" your carry ammo?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a thread about this awhile back. My pocket BUG mag, and the spare mag had not been shot in awhile. One day I dumped both mags, and the corrosion on the cases was pretty ugly. Bad enough it would have probably had an effect on feeding. Its expensive ammo, (Corbon) so now it goes into the tumbler for a bit every so often.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
About once a year. Or maybe more or less often. I guess a better answer is when I see some good stuff on sale...

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I guess I'll do my little write up again. I've been working ammunition and explosives for over 20+ years, as logistic's, handler, and EOD, so I know a little bit about it. Now bear with me on this, military ammo is bought by the lowest bidder, and is required to work regardless of the environmental conditions or age. Most military ammo sits in the open or lightly covered, sometimes it gets put into a earth covered bunker. But for the most part its stored in what ever is available, and may sit for several decades before its used. SO your carry ammo, or practice ammo is kept in (for the most part) a controlled environment, which means its going to last a hell of a lot longer than most of the militarys stored ammo(Which means a very, very long time!!!!!). The vertigris that can build up on your carry ammo can be wiped off with a damp cloth. I have fired ammunition older than WWII, and it has functioned just like the day it was made. Trading out carry ammo every year or every two years is nothing more than a waste of money. Ammunition isn't like food or other items that have an use before date. It will last probably longer than you'll live.

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One of my guns I unload and dry fire quite a bit. And since its the same round that gets chambered over and over I will shoot the top few off the mag every few months or whenever it starts to get banged up. The ones I use have a pretty good crimp on them and you can tell if they have moved but I still like to go ahead and send it down range if it gets a little rough.

Latest posts

Top Bottom