How often do you "freshen" your carry ammo?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OathTree_DFT

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I cycle through my EDC ammo every year. If it's been sitting in the magazine for too long, constant chambering can damage the lead round over time. Plus it's always a good idea to shoot a magazine or two of your carry ammo every now and then - different mechanics and recoil than standard FMJ/range ammo.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I guess I'll do my little write up again. I've been working ammunition and explosives for over 20+ years, as logistic's, handler, and EOD, so I know a little bit about it. Now bear with me on this, military ammo is bought by the lowest bidder, and is required to work regardless of the environmental conditions or age. Most military ammo sits in the open or lightly covered, sometimes it gets put into a earth covered bunker. But for the most part its stored in what ever is available, and may sit for several decades before its used. SO your carry ammo, or practice ammo is kept in (for the most part) a controlled environment, which means its going to last a hell of a lot longer than most of the militarys stored ammo(Which means a very, very long time!!!!!). The vertigris that can build up on your carry ammo can be wiped off with a damp cloth. I have fired ammunition older than WWII, and it has functioned just like the day it was made. Trading out carry ammo every year or every two years is nothing more than a waste of money. Ammunition isn't like food or other items that have an use before date. It will last probably longer than you'll live.

Good info. I worry more about bullet setback than I probably should...have never had a problem, probably never will. After all, I'm just going off what the guy at the sporting goods counter told me at Walmart. He must be an expert to be working there around all that ammo and Rem Oil and Uncle Mikes stuff , right?

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I guess I'll do my little write up again. I've been working ammunition and explosives for over 20+ years, as logistic's, handler, and EOD, so I know a little bit about it. Now bear with me on this, military ammo is bought by the lowest bidder, and is required to work regardless of the environmental conditions or age. Most military ammo sits in the open or lightly covered, sometimes it gets put into a earth covered bunker. But for the most part its stored in what ever is available, and may sit for several decades before its used. SO your carry ammo, or practice ammo is kept in (for the most part) a controlled environment, which means its going to last a hell of a lot longer than most of the militarys stored ammo(Which means a very, very long time!!!!!). The vertigris that can build up on your carry ammo can be wiped off with a damp cloth. I have fired ammunition older than WWII, and it has functioned just like the day it was made. Trading out carry ammo every year or every two years is nothing more than a waste of money. Ammunition isn't like food or other items that have an use before date. It will last probably longer than you'll live.

If all things were equal, I might agree, but...... Military grade ammo is sealed at both ends for harsh environments. And even then that is dependent on being stored in sealed cans. Once that factory seal on the can is broken, there is no guarantee of longevity.

Civilian ammo, and even the highest quality of civilian ammo isn't sealed. Not even the primers. Every time you go from a cold or cool environment to a hot me, ie from your air conditioned house to outside, the case expands and sucks in moist air. Over time, that humidity can ruin your carry ammo. A case of 22 ammo can go bad in as little as 3 years if left to sit in the garage where it goes thru those changing temps. Of course 22 being smaller and having less powder to effect is a factor, but either way, it IS a factor

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have decided to crack open a brand new box of 124 gr Gold Dots tomorrow to load up one of my carry guns. All this talk of you "gotta do it you gotta do it" makes me nervous. Better safe than sorry right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I dont. If you lube with lockease, there's nothing to contaminate the ammo, and I seal my case mouths and primer-edges anyway. I also don't load/unload the chamber or gun. I have two, one for practice and one for carry. I just leave the ccw gun loaded, period. I fire a few rds per year (of practice ammo) thru it, and I sometimes shoot a critter here and there with the carry load. So the ammo (somewhat) gets "cycled", enough that I dont have to worry about it.

Okey doke there okey doke. You're not the first guy I've heard of around these parts who uses two identical firearms; one for practice and the other for carry. So what two pistols have you chosen for this and what is your preferred carry load? Lots of folks I know use Gold Dots, Fed HST, Hornady Critical Defense...what do you pick?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lkothe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't replace them very often but I do rotate them in the magazine. Like DH said, they get cruddy, pistol gets cruddy, spare magazine gets cruddy,,,,,,,,,,,,so I clean them every week or so just so I KNOW they are in a shootable shape.

Latest posts

Top Bottom