How to deal with scammers?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superdave65

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a guy contact me from an ad on Armslist, (not an OSA guy as far as I know) He was trying to trade for one of my rifles. He lives in Woodward and he told me that he had a pre-ban chinese ak-47 with a milled receiver. He went into great detail about the fact that the rifle was all original, etc. He was very knowledgeable about AK's and said that this one was worth big bucks. I asked for a picture and he sent me one, it was far shot from a cell phone. After looking at the pic I could tell right away that he was full of crap. The gun is a current production Norinco hunter worth about ..$400 in un-altered condition on Gunbroker, his had a crappy stock on it. Now, I didn't make the deal because I was saavy enough to see that this guy is a thief, but what about the next guy? Now he is selling a .308 savage that supposedly shoots sub-moa to 500 yards, really? I wish that all folks were honest out there. I have made several deals with OSA members and have been satisfied with every one, hopefully they were too. That kind of stuff really pisses me off.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK ... I'm probably gonna get flamed for this but I have lost track of how many times some guy has tried to feed me a line of bull about guns, ammo, shooting, etc. It has even happened to me in "reputable" places like Academy Sports, H&H and C&Js, but I can say never at Fred Baker's nor at Sportsman's Warehouse, when they were here.

I decided a long time ago that it's not my place to call these folks out publicly unless they force me to do so. Just warn your friends about the guy.

You can't fix everything that is wrong with people. Just take care of you and yours.

Lone Wolf '49

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK ... I'm probably gonna get flamed for this but I have lost track of how many times some guy has tried to feed me a line of bull about guns, ammo, shooting, etc. It has even happened to me in "reputable" places like Academy Sports, H&H and C&Js, but I can say never at Fred Baker's nor at Sportsman's Warehouse, when they were here.

I decided a long time ago that it's not my place to call these folks out publicly unless they force me to do so. Just warn your friends about the guy.

You can't fix everything that is wrong with people. Just take care of you and yours.

We can fix them but as you know what I am thinking, it is illegal, HA!!!!!!

30BulletHoles

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a guy contact me from an ad on Armslist, (not an OSA guy as far as I know) He was trying to trade for one of my rifles. He lives in Woodward and he told me that he had a pre-ban chinese ak-47 with a milled receiver. He went into great detail about the fact that the rifle was all original, etc. He was very knowledgeable about AK's and said that this one was worth big bucks. I asked for a picture and he sent me one, it was far shot from a cell phone. After looking at the pic I could tell right away that he was full of crap. The gun is a current production Norinco hunter worth about ..$400 in un-altered condition on Gunbroker, his had a crappy stock on it. Now, I didn't make the deal because I was saavy enough to see that this guy is a thief, but what about the next guy? Now he is selling a .308 savage that supposedly shoots sub-moa to 500 yards, really? I wish that all folks were honest out there. I have made several deals with OSA members and have been satisfied with every one, hopefully they were too. That kind of stuff really pisses me off.

Wanna post a link to his ad? I'd be glad to contact him and find out who he is. Chances are that he isn't a scammer, just a dipshit. Woodward is full of those.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I decided a long time ago that it's not my place to call these folks out publicly unless they force me to do so.

Why not?

Calling 'em out will in many cases shut them up. If done often enough it may shut them up permanently. At the very least they won't make the mistake of talking BS to you again.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why not?

Calling 'em out will in many cases shut them up. If done often enough it may shut them up permanently. At the very least they won't make the mistake of talking BS to you again.

You're young and vibrant ... you take it to them. I just want to buy my guns and ammo and get the F outta the store before I have another hot flash and subsequent mood swing ... That is NEVER pretty ... ;)

(and yes, I know we are about the same age!! ;) )

Lone Wolf '49

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why not?

Calling them out may work, but I am old and crusted. I just want to end the BS with them. But you really have no idea how I think at my old age. Anyway, good night and good luck.
Lone Wolf

gun001guns

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree, but it happends both places on armslist and OSA. There is a member who has a 1911 posted for sale and he actually wants $100 more for his gun used than you can buy a new one on GB for. I offered to trade him an xd for his 1911 with cash of course. He wanted to price my gun at normal used price which is okay with me the gun is worth in the $425 range, but I was confused as to how his gun was worth $100 more used than a new one could be bought for. When I called him on it, he simply quit responding. I have noticed that most of whats on OSA for sale is also on Armslist for sale.

Latest posts

Top Bottom