Hummingbirds

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to get one in my shop now and then. 2 overhead doors wide open and they would come in and couldnt figure out how to get out. Just kept flying up against the ceiling when all they had to do was drop down 3' and fly out the overhead door. Nothin I could do. 1 actually was smart enough to fly out after about 5 min. One was in there a couple hours and I was trying everything I could think of to get it out when it finally died either from exhaustion or dehydrated and it just drop out of the air dead. I hated that.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I observed that same situation a few years back at the Madill Girl's Home livestock barn. Little guy kept flying high trying to find a way out. After a few hours, he finally lost enough altitude due to being so tired that he found the barn door.

Had one fly in today; wasn't one of the regulars. Probably she was just resting on her way south.

Saw some interesting things with them this year. When they fuss at each other, it's a very high-pitched chirping. One day when I was working too close to the feeder, the male bird started raking me over the coals. He literally sounded like an angry squirrel, except his chittering was very muted. First time I had ever heard that. Also, saw the same guy picking gnats out of the air and eating them.

They're fun little critters.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I sometimes fly remote control helicopters in the backyard (small with Lipo batteries). I had the helicopter hovering stable at about ten feet when a hummingbird flew in and was hovering nose to nose about a foot away. He stayed about 4 or 5 seconds and then flew off. I sure wish I could have taken a picture. I think they are territorial and he was sizing up his challenger. After realizing he was about 1/4th of the size, I'm guessing he decided to bug out. I wish I had more of them at my feeder this year - fun to watch.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't think temp is the primary motivator for their migration. You'd be surprised at the temps they can survive. I think shorter days and fewer flowers of their liking is more of a driver for them. If you really pay attention, I think you'll find that they arrive and leave pretty much during the same few days every year.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think temp is the primary motivator for their migration. You'd be surprised at the temps they can survive. I think shorter days and fewer flowers of their liking is more of a driver for them. If you really pay attention, I think you'll find that they arrive and leave pretty much during the same few days every year.
Yes it is photosynthesis. Same thing that triggers deer breeding hormones.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Correct. Temperature does have some effect, but not always. We were in Red River NM last year on Memorial Weekend. Got an inch of snow, and had had hummers coming to the feeder on the porch with snow on it.
Evidently the temps had been warm enough earlier to get them there, but when they fell, they were still active.
Some info on the migration habits:

http://www.hummingbirds.net/migration.html

GLGAR

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They often fly into my garage, I think the vehicle tail lights attract them. I use a butterfly net to catch them when they can't find their way out. Found one once laying on the floor, just barely alive. Held him in my hand and put his bill in the feeder and he started to drink. After a bit he was good as new and off he flew, tough little birds.

Latest posts

Top Bottom