Hunting out of truck?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ok. Got a question. I was under the impression (and was told by a retired game warden) that it is legal to hunt out of your vehicle on private property so long as it is parked in a stationary position and simply used like a blind.

Basically pull into field. Park. Sit a couple of hours and hunt out of it. NOT moving around.

What's your guys consensus here?

shootermcgavin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ok. Got a question. I was under the impression (and was told by a retired game warden) that it is legal to hunt out of your vehicle on private property so long as it is parked in a stationary position and simply used like a blind.

Basically pull into field. Park. Sit a couple of hours and hunt out of it. NOT moving around.

What's your guys consensus here?
My uncle used to do it. He would park on the hill, turn it on when he was cold, roll the windows down if a deer walked by.... Somehow he was successful. He was a law abiding citizen in an area with a jerky warden so I'm thinking it's legal.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
From what I understand, as long as it is parked the entire time, you are fine. I believe that if you are driving down the county road, spot the deer, circle around to get ahead of them and then pull on to private property and park before shooting the deer, it IS illegal. It’s kind of like hunting from a boat. You cannot be under motorized power when hunting.

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have done it myself if a warden wanted to be an arse about it he could still argue the use of a motorized vehicle but I would argue that. No different than a blind with a bad camo job in my opinion

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
From what I understand, as long as it is parked the entire time, you are fine. I believe that if you are driving down the county road, spot the deer, circle around to get ahead of them and then pull on to private property and park before shooting the deer, it IS illegal. It’s kind of like hunting from a boat. You cannot be under motorized power when hunting.

Yes.
A friend was in a truck with a land owner when they flushed a doe driving across a pasture.
They stopped the truck, got up in the bed, and killed the doe.
GW watched this from the side of the road. They got ticketed for using a motorized vehicle to take game.
Just sitting in one and watching a tree line might be ok, but don’t flush one and think that just because you stop it makes you legal.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve never thought it was legal, even when staying parked. That’s just been my interpretation, however. I know a lot of guys that have done it through the years. I’ve sat on the ground next to my truck with my kids before.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Yes I know thats illegal. You can't use the aid of the motor to pursue or find the deer. Not at all what I'm talking about here.

Latest posts

Top Bottom