Hunting rifle barrel cleaning

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Whenever I begin to loose accuracy, or should I get caught in a down pour..........and I don't hunt in the rain lol. Inside the barrel of my Ruger .280 hasn't been cleaned in about 6 years. First sight in shot still on year after year so I don't mess with it. I loaned it a guy one year and he killed a doe with it. He returned it and told me thank you, and that he'd cleaned it for me........... :shocked:..... gulp. Took a lot of rounds to get my groups back down under an inch.

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Whenever I begin to loose accuracy, or should I get caught in a down pour..........and I don't hunt in the rain lol. Inside the barrel of my Ruger .280 hasn't been cleaned in about 6 years. First sight in shot still on year after year so I don't mess with it. I loaned it a guy one year and he killed a doe with it. He returned it and told me thank you, and that he'd cleaned it for me........... :shocked:..... gulp. Took a lot of rounds to get my groups back down under an inch.
That why i was asking my .270 has been acting up when i went to sight it in it was 6”s high i moved it down 2 clicks and it dropped 8”s i think have a scope problem

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
To answer your initial question directly - I don't, unless precipitate is encountered and then it is a wipedown to displace the water in the barrel.
It truly sounds like your mounts are in need of some love, or you coughed as you pulled the trigger.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That why i was asking my .270 has been acting up when i went to sight it in it was 6”s high i moved it down 2 clicks and it dropped 8”s i think have a scope problem
Tap your scope with a shell or mag (lightly). Do that then shoot and see if it moved. Adjust and tap the scope then fire.
It may be sticking on the adjustment and when you fire it move it. IMO

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
After checking your scope rings, stock screws, etc, make sure you can take a dollar bill and have it slide all the way from the front of the stock to the start of the receiver. If not, your stock has warped, and affecting the harmonics of the barrel. If so, you will have to remove the stock and find where its touching the barrel.

Latest posts

Top Bottom