HVAC Replacement in OKC

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dang, it sounds like we have our own politicians in the A/C business. I took a course once in heating and A/c and the instructor said that they looked forward to spring because they have a lot of compressors to replace because people turn the heater off of the compressors in the winter time to save money and forget that the heaters have to be on around 48-72 hours to force the freon back in the lines otherwise the compressor will lock up and burn out. .
Total crap story, most residential ac units don't even have crank case heaters ,,( except heat pumps because they run in the winter) if it is warm enough to need ac it is warm enough to turn refrigerant into gas the reason for the heaters is so liquid refrigerant doesnt sit in the compressor

Last edited:

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Total crap story, most residential ac units don't even have crank case heaters ,,( except heat pumps because they run in the winter) if it is warm enough to need ac it is warm enough to turn refrigerant into gas the reason for the heaters is so liquid refrigerant does sit in the compressor
This is not entirely incorrect. The heat of sunlight, appliances, people, and pets often make indoor temps much warmer than outdoor temps.

As with most safeguards, you can get by with disconnecting the compressor heater sometimes (perhaps even most of the time)... if you're lucky.

FWIW, our residential AC unit had a heater (it shorted out). And even the window units we now use recommend being plugged in a couple hours before startup. ;)

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Total crap story, most residential ac units don't even have crank case heaters ,,( except heat pumps because they run in the winter) if it is warm enough to need ac it is warm enough to turn refrigerant into gas the reason for the heaters is so liquid refrigerant does sit in the compressor
The story is circa 1985 and they did have heaters. with all respect due, you received the wrong info in Vo-Tech.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My local company called Loves HVAC came out to tune mine up last spring and I asked about getting a new one when mine went out. Hopefully not for years. It’s 11 so who knows. He said they could install a new Rheem unit for about $7500. Now I don’t know what size he was referencing. I just assumed it was for the same size I have now. I would actually get a bigger unit than I have now. The moron that built my house cheaped out and used a smaller unit. So it has to run constantly to keep it at 67. Yes I like it cold. My dad had a top of the line York installed by a company down here and it cost him about $11,000. That included them opening up his returns to make them larger and cleaning his air ducts out. And his unit is huge. Hope you get a great deal. Good luck.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
FWIW, I prefer multiple window units for one reason...

One unit can die, and we still have cooling from the others (it's the "all yer eggs in one basket" thingy).

And at $300 (or less?) per unit, it's pretty cheap to replace 3 or 4 of 'em if necessary.

Just my two cents, YMMV. :drunk2:

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I started in 1984, and you said to push the refrigerant back in the lines.when they are to turn liquid into gas inside the compressor.
If I remember, the Freon goes to the cold area and if the compressor is heated as with a heater the Freon goes into the home. And if it isn't heated it concentrates or settles equally and that's why the compressors burn out. Right?

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If I remember, the Freon goes to the cold area and if the compressor is heated as with a heater the Freon goes into the home. And if it isn't heated it concentrates or settles equally and that's why the compressors burn out. Right?
Wrong the refrigerant is in the entire system just in different states

Latest posts

Top Bottom