Hypothetical Self Defense Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigwilly

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Let's say you defended yourself in public and the BG died. LE intially arrests you for murder, but DA says it's a clean self defense shoot and no charges are filed. Next time your CCW come up for renewal and you have to list that you were arrested for murder, will you be denied.

Quick_Draw_McGraw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Let's say you defended yourself in public and the BG died. LE intially arrests you for murder, but DA says it's a clean self defense shoot and no charges are filed. Next time your CCW come up for renewal and you have to list that you were arrested for murder, will you be denied.

I know in Tulsa at least that TPD writes up a report on every shooting.

I'd imagine in the scenario that your talking about you should have paperwork from the police department, and paperwork from the charges being dismissed. I'd imagine if you submitted all that paperwork it would be fine, but I also imagine it might take a little longer to process it while they review it.

TJay74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If The Da Dismisses The Charges And Decieded To Not Prosecute Then Your Record Is Suppossed To Be Esponged Of Any And All Arrest Records Or Related Charges To The Incident.

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If The Da Dismisses The Charges And Decieded To Not Prosecute Then Your Record Is Suppossed To Be Esponged Of Any And All Arrest Records Or Related Charges To The Incident.

This is not so.

Any arrest still shows up as an arrest.

However it is convictions and lying that get you in trouble with your CCW. I know of a security guard in Tulsa who was arrested for homicide (incident was dubious as a self defense shoooting but no good enough for a conviction IMO) but not convicted and today has a CLEET armed guard license and a CCW permit.

Michael Brown

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You just report it and then add info to help them see you weren't prosecuted.
May mean a small delay in getting it back to you.
But won't preclude you from being approved.

Like MB said not acknowledging it or lying about it will get you turned down.

TJay74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
MB I knonw the arrest still show up in the system, but from what I was told about a arrest I had when I was alot younger and from what my attorney advised me is that you can have most all of it esponged from your record and if you push hard enough even get the arrest entries removed from your records as well if you push hard enough.

Though we all know no matter how hard you push and if those enteries are removed there will always be some record of them in someones system.

Latest posts

Top Bottom