I’m an Okie!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HMCS(FMF)Ret.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't like it when people call me an OKIE because I never left Oklahoma. OKIE was a term they called people that left Oklahoma during the great depression with scorn. People now days don't know the history of the term and think it is great to be called a OKIE.
I love the term because my Mom (who isn’t from Oklahoma) always used to call my Grandpa an Okie lovingly (he was born here and moved to Bakersfield). I have researched the term and understand the terms use through history. Unlike you though, I take pride in calling myself/being called an Okie. To each their own though.

Last edited:

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't like it when people call me an OKIE because I never left Oklahoma. OKIE was a term they called people that left Oklahoma during the great depression with scorn. People now days don't know the history of the term and think it is great to be called a OKIE.

I love the term because my Mom (who isn’t from Oklahoma) always used to call my Grandpa an Okie lovingly (he was born here and moved to Bakersfield). I have researched the term and understand the terms use through history. Unlike you though, I take pride in calling myself/being called an Okie. To each their own though.

I also take pride in being called an Okie, and proudly claim myself to be the same. Largely, I take pride because I knew and grew up in a town with "Okies" of both sides. It took great courage to load up one's family and head elsewhere to better their lives with no promise of employment when they got there. It also took great courage for those that stayed behind because there was no guarantees that they could make a living at home.

Those men and women that went and those that stayed all deserve my respect. And, all of the ones that I knew all took pride in the name, "Okie."

HMCS(FMF)Ret.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Y
I also take pride in being called an Okie, and proudly claim myself to be the same. Largely, I take pride because I knew and grew up in a town with "Okies" of both sides. It took great courage to load up one's family and head elsewhere to better their lives with no promise of employment when they got there. It also took great courage for those that stayed behind because there was no guarantees that they could make a living at home.

Those men and women that went and those that stayed all deserve my respect. And, all of the ones that I knew all took pride in the name, "Okie."
Very well said!

Latest posts

Top Bottom