I called Colt Firearms Company today!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey All,

Yes you read the title correctly, I called Colt today. Why, you may ask??!!

**Well, I am a Colt afficionado and I think Colt needs to go back to the starting point, the bread and butter, what made the 1911 famous!!

I found out Cimmaron Firearms is selling Model 1911's and from what the picture shows, they look sweet!!!

Cimmaron 1911, I think made by Armscor out of the Phillipines. I don't like the Cimmaron Trademark on the slide. Love the style of the older 1911's, small front site, original back site, serrated slide release, small serrated hammer....and all the rest.

Blue...or high polished black......awesome, love it, love it!!
ai579.photobucket.com_albums_ss238_Onufriyenko_Articles_2011_SHOT_Show_Cimarron_1.jpg

Nickel....WOW....what can I say??!!
ai579.photobucket.com_albums_ss238_Onufriyenko_Articles_2011_SHOT_Show_Cimarron_4.jpg

So, Back to the story. Last night, while in the man cave, I got to thinking. Why can't Colt make or re-make a Model 1911 just like the ones in the pictures??

I have looked and looked at Colt 1911's and for some reason I just won't buy one. The closest one like the ones I'm talking about was the WWI version and they have sold out!!

Sooooo, Today, .

I called Colt to let them know my frustration.

I got ahold of the the secretary to the President of Colt(Mr.Gerald Dinkel) her name is Isabelle.

I questioned why Colt refuses to make a Model 1911 like the one in question....like they USE to. I asked many other questions and sensed she was truly concerned with my questions and was writing the main points down. She asked for a contact number and assured me someone would call me back.

In less than 10 minutes my phone rang.

A man from marketing called me and I let him know my concerns.

1. Why doesn't Colt make an "original" model 1911? Like the ones from about the 1920's through the 1950's? If Cimmaron is going to sell them...there must be a market for them. Why let Cimarron and other companies profit from a CLONE, while Colt could make and original. Like the ones in the pictures?? I asked him, how well the WWI model sold. He told me they sold-out.

2. So, I stated to him, there is a market like the ones in question.
He stated ....yes!!

3. I asked him why Colt doesn't make a 9mm...1911, just like the ones in question. Not a fancy dancy one, one that is an old/original??

4. I phrased again, if other gun companies and importers are doing it, why can't Colt?? I don't want a copy, I want a Colt!! If it doesn't sell or make money...quit making it!! Pretty simple!! He told me that Colt is looking into a 9mm 1911.

** Before he gave me his e-mail and his name once again, my phone hung up on him. I HATE my cell phone!!

I will call back tomorrow and thank him for his time and listening to my concerns!!

WOW....Colt called me back and acted like they were interested in what I had to say. Hmmmm, who knows what the future made hold for us 1911 lovers...who knows??!!

Cohiba

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
Awesome. I wish they would go back to making guns like they used to do. I have two of those WW I Repro pistols and love them. I have quite a few Series 70 Colts, but my favorites are Pre-War.

Glad you had a good experience.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cohiba, good on you and I am with you 99%

The 1% is that I think the Cinarron rollmark is leagues above a lot of others out there.

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They heard you, Check out the colt G01911ANVlll Just saw my distributer has them and I can get them for $1K out the door if they still have any.

[Broken External Image]

ai3.photobucket.com_albums_y95_jerrellwise_1911_20Pics_file_19e50444082b86d3a43dc447b8c76386e5.jpg

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That is the WWI (non-A1) reproduction, right?

Edit - I was beat by a few seconds.

I have a plain-Jane blued Series 70 reproduction. That is as close to the old style as I could find. For $800 give or take, I though it was the best 1911 out there, for my preferences, for the money. My preferences were a basic, blued Colt. I love it. It's the one in the thumbnail pic below in my signature.

JTA

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Not to highjack a thread, but while on the topic of original Colt products we wish the company would bring back, I wish they would go back to making double action revolvers. If they would bring back the Detective Special, I would buy one in a heartbeat.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Word on the street is that a new DA wheel gun is in the cards for Colt, but they have been very mum on the details.

It would most certainly have to more along the quality of current S&W and Ruger to be competitive though (not that those are unacceptable, by any means). A DA colt comparable to the snake guns would probably be too cost-prohibitive to produce. I could see a nicely-fitted Colt selling for $800+ but a modern-day Python would be double that or more.

Latest posts

Top Bottom