i freaking missed too!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okieshooter777

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well last night i had 2 small bucks come in and i missed!

I have been bow hunting for several years and at one time was a damn good shot. THe last 2 years most places i hunt have 10-30 yard shots...tops!

I got a new place to hunt and was set up last night in the wind and after 1/2 hour, had a small 5 pointer come up about 45 yards. I am pretty confident, so i stand up and drew. He was small but the 1st buck with bow so i was going to take him. i have taken doe before!

Ok, i have my camera on my bow recording and shoot and miss! I was about a foot low! THe arrow stuck into the ground under him. He pays no attention! He goes back to eating. So i reach over and grab another arrow out of my quiver and prepare to shoot at him again. He jumps the fence and now is about 35-40 yards. I know i can make this shot. The wind keeps gusting occasionally. The next arrow in my quiver that i grabbed is missing the nock! I am shocked like why is this happening to me! I have set around 35 hours so far with not 1 shot! I think no biggie, i have 1 more arrow with me, however it has a field point. I try to unscrew the field point with no luck. So i try to pull out the nock and put it on the other arrow. All this time he is just standing there eating away. I break the nock pulling it out and think... i am not meant to take this deer! So i precede to watch him getting videos of him standing there. I keep looking at my only good arrow on the ground near him. I think... if i dont get that arrow, my luck a big buck will come out and i wont be able to shoot him. So i blow a grunt and bleat at him hoping he will get frightened and leave. He wont even look until i blew the bleat. then he would just go back to eating. i was laughing out loud at this point. So i was not sure what to do, i need the only good arrow. I decided to get down without him blowing my location in the stand. he did not even see me, i walked about 10 yards from him, (i was videoing him this whole time) and he runs about 20 feet and is sitting in the edge of the woods. i grab my arrow and get back to my stand. About 45 min later, he comes back out and starts heading over to the corn... i could not believe it. Well i see him look up and here comes another deer across the pasture. i was thinking...doe... it was a spike buck and this buck jumped the fence and ran over to him and i was thinking....fight. they just hopped around together int he high grass, and finally got to dark to see.

anyway, always be prepared....always! I cant believe i only had 3 arrows and 1 was a field point...how stupid!!
I should have practiced my 40+ yard shots more before hunting this location!

Could have been worse and been a monster buck.

WacosSon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I decided to get down without him blowing my location in the stand. he did not even see me, i walked about 10 yards from him, (i was videoing him this whole time) and he runs about 20 feet and is sitting in the edge of the woods. i grab my arrow and get back to my stand.

At this point I would have drawn down on him and ended it so that the story would never be told ;)

Happens to us all - at least you have a good story - and video to boot!

okieshooter777

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After i grabbed the arrow he went into the woods just a few feet from me....

i have a video of me trying to spook him away.. i can share that, but too embarrassed to show the miss video... I was kinda vulgar too.... lol

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
HAHA Good story man. One more reason to carry a full quiver with you! I carry 3 broadheads with me and two field points at all times. Sometimes there is a diller or something that needs a courtesy shot, so I make sure I have plenty of extras to practice my aim with.

Does your quiver mount on your bow? Mine does, and I don't really like that. With arrows hanging down they seem to always be catching on something. I would like a quiver that clips on belt or something, but haven't looked for one.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That can be discouraging but it does happen to all of us. I have missed them a lot closer than that. You'll have another chance. One of my buddies hit two different deer on Sat and lost them both with no blood trail. Even went looking yesterday with the bird dog and could not find either of them. He got another chance on a doe this morning and made good. He was relieved and encouraged that he finally got one. At least you didn't wound one and lose it. It could have been worse.

okieshooter777

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a dream I hit him halfway down his leg and he limped off... Ha ja

Just took some practice shots and was shooting low out past 30 yds. I
Am now hitting a 6-7" diameter pattern out to 40.

Not sure what changed? I got fatter since last year, so maybe my position is a little different.

Latest posts

Top Bottom