I hate it when the news wants opinions on gun laws.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WTJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First off, I'm not against open-carry laws, I'm against stupidity (and you are correct - we have stupid people carrying now, and there will be stupid people carrying openly, so there isn't going to be a major change in the percentage of stupid people carrying).

But the attitudes will change in those who are stupid - mark my words. Again, I'm not advocating any changes to laws, I'm just worried on how the public will perceive gun-owners after people purposely open-carry their guns with an "in-your-face" attitude, or start puffing out their chests like the gun is a license to be a badass and purposely looking for trouble, or use their guns as a political tool such as a protest, or "reveal-your-carry" in an anti-gun private businesses (keep in mind, I'm taking all of these examples from stories posted here as either happening in the news or being suggested by members).

I'm not making this up man. News stories of it happening in the other places make me think it will happen here. The fact the folks are suggesting doing annoying "look at my gun" crap here on this board makes me think it will happen here. Think about the number of NDs in normal carry situations. Now think about someone in a demonstration trying to prove something they shouldn't be proving doing something stupid and causing an ND - that would be disastrous for gun-owners (and that's just one of about 100 different ways the wrong attitude and something to prove combined with open-carry of a loaded handgun could go wrong).

I sincerely hope I'm completely wrong and nothing happens, but if the posts I've read here and the news stories I've read from other states are any indication, we're in for some growing-pains with Open Carry.

Even stupid people hate stupidity even though they are too stupid to know that they are practicing stupidity and think you are stupid for thinking that they are stupid.

WTJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was sent to Kentucky for 18 months or so in the early 90's. Unbeknownst to me, Kentucky was, and is, an open carry state. In that time, I saw one geezer who could been the poster boy for Appalachia carrying a sidearm, revolver, weapon, or gun (being sens-i-tiv to some of those with peeves here). I thought "Wholly chit, he's heeled". I was probably the only person who noticed, or even cared. I only cared because I was fascinated by this public display of Constitutional Rights. As it turned out, OC has been legal there for many years, and very few participate.

Give it a year. No one will care.

EhlerDave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For me I will group all of you into a single pile. :) The I dont care how you wish to carry it does not effect me, to each their own.

This is how its going to work for little ole me.

I dont have a holster I would feel comfy with in an OC situation, all my stuff is made to go under a shirt and for ease of access. Its that access part that bothers me. I dont want a holster that can allow my gun to be fired while still in the holster. Just want to avoid the possibility of a goober grabbing at it and being able to fire off a round or 3 into my leg. Looking for a good retention holster that covers both the trigger and hammer, just to make me happy.

The times I can see for me to OC are in the summer heat, I am a fat man and get so hot so easy that it would literally be cooler for me to use a belt holster and not worry about it being covered.

I will also not OC unless I have time to spend with the chance of a LEO having a bad day. That way I will be in no rush as he does his thing. Got to have the proper mind set.

Did I miss anything?

Vamoose

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

68mustang

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Latest posts

Top Bottom