I just inherited some very old shotguns/rifels need advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okie98

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Oberhammer was probably made in Munich, Germany between 1900 and 1920. If it has THREE barrels, it is a drilling. If it only has two barrels, it is referred to as a combination gun (one rifle barrel and one shotgun). Shotgun barrels are usually 16 gage and the most common rifle is 9.3X72. The barrels are usually marked on the bottom.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Beautiful guns man. sorry for you loss. keep them for your kids for they are going up in value every day. that "greener lock" gun is a work of art and the drilling is beautiful too.

NeverGiveUp

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Beautiful guns man. sorry for you loss. keep them for your kids for they are going up in value every day. that "greener lock" gun is a work of art and the drilling is beautiful too.

Thanks i really appreciate that. It was just amazing to me that my grandpa was a collector and he never talked about it. Grandma was just cleaning around and called me to see if I knew anything about them and i was completely shocked. I'm going to make a trip to tulsa and talk to them at the museum to see if i could possibly find someone to restore them and keep them for my kids or if i would be better off to leave them as is

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Those are still pretty nice.

Cleaned up and preserved they'll still be cool pieces. I think your grandfather had a good eye, you don't see those everyday.

Guns that old are never like new. But don't let any restoration be done until you know the before and after value. A little oil to stop the rusting is okay but nothing to remove it. Get them appraised and congrats you've got some nice items to pass on to your kids.

Latest posts

Top Bottom