I know I'm a little late, but Happy Veterans Day

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dukester

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
http://unsolicitedbiasedopinion.blogspot.com/2012/11/happy-veterans-day.html

Every Veteran's Day, and this one is no exception, I have people come up to me and thank me for serving and as often as not they shake my hand when they do it. I imagine they do this because I usually wear a cap that says US ARMY on it. I don't wear it because I want people to know I'm a veteran, but to support our troops. Also, I just think the Army kicks ass and I want everybody to know it.

Being thanked for my service actually makes me a bit uncomfortable, to tell you the truth. This is because even though I did serve and am a veteran on paper, thanks to timing I was never deployed and was therefore asked to sacrifice nothing but a little time and effort. Quite frankly, I didn't do anything to be thanked for. In fact I think it's fair to say that I got the better end of the deal by far.

I experienced things that built my character and my confidence in ways that rarely happen outside of the military. I was also given an all expense trip to Germany and surrounding areas where I saw and experienced things that I will never forget. Along the way I got to play with some of the cool toys that the Army has, such as machine guns, grenade launchers and the trusty M-16, not to mention artillery. And after all that was done I got a little money for school that helped me have a career which allows me to provide for my family.

The most valuable thing that I got from the military,however, was the honor of standing next to those who fought for this country in years and decades past. Even though I'll never deserve it, I got to call myself a soldier just the same as all of those whose names are on the Vietnam Wall, or on white crosses in Arlington cemetery, and the same as those that fought and are still with us, like my dad who served in Vietnam. I'm not fit to carry their water, but I am called a veteran just the same.

So I should not be thanked, but in fact should be giving thanks myself. Thanks to those in all branches of service, those that are still with us and those who are not, who stood between this country and those who would do her harm. Thank you for allowing me to raise my right hand and serve after you and for making the uniform I wore and the flag I saluted mean something. But most of all thank you for the pride in my son's eyes when he asks me questions about the things I got to do while in the Army and follows my answers with, "Coool!"

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
This bout sums it up for too. I seen alotta world, met some great buds, played with cool stuff. All on the tax payers dime. Knowbody owes me thanks or handshakes because I got the better end of the deal.

Latest posts

Top Bottom