I like taking things apart

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I went shooting today and picked up some spent brass after everyone left.
I also pick up live ammo that is laying around.

I picked up a factory federal 45acp 230gr and it had a nice deep primer strike but all was intact.
I pulled the bullet and it had 5gr of dull gray flake powder. Bullet weight was 231.5gr and
the primer was missing the anvil.. hence the misfire and why it was laying on the ground.

Thought some of you may want to know.. stuff happens.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got thousands of rounds of duds and unfired ammo that's been left at our range over the years. We have collection containers scattered around to put them in.
Most folks don't have the desire or capability to tear them down.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433991247.834044.jpg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Trash the powder, you don't know what it is. The rest is recyclable.
Some of the European military stuff is varnished into the case, and impossible to remove by impact or collet bullet pullers without damaging the bullets beyond repair.

The bags of .22 in the pic for the most part are unfired, and left on the range. I use them during trapping season in a revo. Sometimes they just need rotated to go off.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use the brass unless it is damaged beyond repair and most of the bullets I do not have enough to make a batch.
If the base is lead like this one I took apart I will melt it down and make bullets from it.

Some are just jams that I pick up and no primer strike,, that to me is not a failed piece of ammo but a failed gun loading the ammo.

I am much more curious about the ammo with the solid primer strike and why it did not go off.. I pulled the bullet with an inertia puller that I built from a piece of cedar.

I trash the powder.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
HA!!!
I have taken my wife's dryer apart 3 times just to limp it along.
I was at my grandmothers house feeding her some home cooking and one of her light switches was not working.. Yep took it apart and fixed it.
I bet today being older than 10 you could possibly make that hair dryer work.

I was 12 when I got my first basket case motorcycle.. a TC 90 Suzuki.
Vice grip shifter no brakes and no throttle ,, well there was 3" of busted off cable above the carb that I tied into a knot so I could pull up on it easier.
Had to push start it and usually push it 1/2 way around the block before it would start.
I gave $7.50 for it. I killed it by trying to jump a tall pile of gravel that was just dumped. Front tire buried into the pile and I slammed into it after the handgrip busted one of my ribs.. That was a long push back home,, busted the side case and filled it full of gravel.
I had just put that on there with my homemade manila envelope gasket and #2 gasket maker.

Today I know it probably needed a new set of points. and I can't remember if I mixed oil into the fuel.. I think I did as the only gas can we had was for a lawnmower
and that mower was a...... you guessed it Lawn Boy 2 stroke. Man those were great mowers back then.

Latest posts

Top Bottom