I made a knife

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrandonM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I tried doing a heat treat myself using a torch to get the steel glowing red hot then submerging it in used motor oil. I did this twice. I am not sure how well it worked or how hard it is. I did read it may be good to heat the steel in coals for a couple hours then submerge it in water and then heat it with a torch to red hot and submerge it again. I will have to play with the heat treat thing to get something worthwhile. I would like to try and come up with some 440c stainless on the next one to see what working with stainless is like.

Bill Coye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I tried doing a heat treat myself using a torch to get the steel glowing red hot then submerging it in used motor oil. I did this twice. I am not sure how well it worked or how hard it is. I did read it may be good to heat the steel in coals for a couple hours then submerge it in water and then heat it with a torch to red hot and submerge it again. I will have to play with the heat treat thing to get something worthwhile. I would like to try and come up with some 440c stainless on the next one to see what working with stainless is like.

You can make a simple forge out of two fire bricks - heat the knife until non-magnetic and then quench in oil. Now it's hard - time to make it tough. Thats when you "draw" or temper the blade in the kitchen oven (if you don't have a knife oven).

Tons of knife making tutorials here www.knifedogs.com in the "Knife Makers" area.

Rock on!

BC

mike miller

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would get some 5160 or 1084 to start with. Very easy steels to work with and heat treat. if you do a small brick forge go to Fastenal and get some drill rod and flatten it. It is very easy to work with and will make a nice blade. 440C requires a very high temp for an extneded period of time and needs special care to make a blade. The forge would not work.

IF YOU ARE REALLY INTERESTED- www.theknifegroup.com - check out member events -SHOP TOUR- Ray Kirk Tahlequah on MAY 8TH - willbe many knifemakers there tovisit with and get info- Ray will let you pound out a 5160 blade there

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good looking knife, here is my first attempt.

alh3.ggpht.com__cw7szDh41MM_S6fu_JyjyXI_AAAAAAAADEY_zVHVytG0Trw_s512_PICT0478.JPG

alh4.ggpht.com__cw7szDh41MM_S6fu_vFivqI_AAAAAAAADEU_IaV5JljXtHM_s512_PICT0480.JPG

alh3.ggpht.com__cw7szDh41MM_S6fu_MrHtRI_AAAAAAAADEQ_IqnDBsSbxAs_s512_PICT0482.JPG

POSITIVE DISCONTENT

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I use old circular saw blades.... The 24" and larger ones are getting tough to come by but 12" are still easy to come by. Make sure they are old.... The new ones suck, just hardened on the ends and crap in the middle....

BrandonM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Then make me a sandwich, fancypants.

P.S. I have an old portable hardness tester laying around at work that you can have if you're curious about the temper of your blade.

How can I say no to that. Bring it on over tomorrow. You are a true friend.:kiss: I will even trade you for a sandwich.

I appreciate all the hints, tips and advice. you guys are great.

Latest posts

Top Bottom