I need to get started... the RIGHT way.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Gimme some quick tips for a cheap, easy setup to learn on.

I just built a .300AAC AR, and I don't have a single round of ammo for it. I can buy some, but I also know it will get expensive to shoot. I'd like to buy a simple, easy and relatively cheap setup, either new or used, to start with one caliber and move to possibly several. I'll need to start with .300, of course, then probably 5.56 and on to .45 and 9. 6.8 is also a possibility, but I don't really see myself doing large amounts of that, at least not anytime soon.

I want to do progressive, because I want to be able to knock out hundreds of rounds an hour, but over and over again, I see advice to start with a simple single-stage. So if I'm gonna buy something "temporary" to "learn on" I don't want to drop a ton of money. Eventually, it's likely I'll end up with a Dillion 1050XL and maybe even an automatic setup for it, but I guess if I NEED to learn slow and steady, this is the way to do it.

So... give me some ideas on how to get into this for just a coupla hundred bucks, maybe. Let's face it, if I'm saving $0.10-0.20 per round on reloading .300AAC, even at $300.00 for a full setup, I'll need to shoot 1500-3000 rounds before I even break even on the cost. That's a lot for me, honestly - I just don't have a lot of "shooting time". :(

Oh, and I'm buying a suppressor prolly tomorrow, too, so that affects things. I'd guess with the .300 it'll mostly be subsonic shooting.

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think you already have the best suppressor money can buy....no ammo.

Maybe you'd be better off using a buddies setup for learning and then dive straight into the progressive set up

One more thought... you mentioned using a progressive set up to crank out lots of rounds, but then you mention not having enough time to shoot 1500 - 3000 rounds.... Im a little confused

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just started and have gotten a ton of info on here.

I was told start slow and steady with a single stage I got a lee kit and it was only $125. I know you mentioned the temporary thing but for a kit that's $100 dollars it's fairly cheap to start up on and when you want to upgrade you could sell it.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of any of the Lee presses except for the classic cast and its a really good heavy press for a single stage. It takes all standard 7/8 X 14 TPI loading dies and RCBS type shell holders. If you are looking at something to load large quantities of rifle ammo, either the Dillon RL-650 or the Hornady Lock N Load AP. Either will do a great job of loading rifle stuff. I have three Dillon RL-550B progressive press set up, one with a case feeder and I can load lots of pistol stuff on the one with the case feeder, but it can't handle any rifle brass through the case feeder. The rifle stuff I load on the other two, everything from 22 hornet to 50 Thumper, but the limiting factor is placing bullets and cases in manually. The case feeder on the pistol setup eliminates feeding cases in and that speeds it up quite a bit. The progressive presses I have listed use shell plates instead of shell holders and each conversion to a different caliber can be pricey. I make my blackout brass from 5.56 brass using a harbor freight mini cutoff saw to cut the brass, then I run it through the full length sizing die and then trim it with a Lee case gage trimmer. You can load a lot of ammo on a single stage press and as you gain experience, you can find ways to speed the process. You may find that you enjoy reloading as much as you do the shooting.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The quick and easy way to learn is on a single stage press. Progressive presses can be temperamental and unforgiving to a newbie and experienced reloaders.

Volmarr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I started with a Dillon 550. I currently load 300blk, 5.56, 45acp, 9mm, and .380. You can come by and check out my setup if you want and see how its done since we live in the same town. I havent started loading subsonic 300blk yet as im waiting for my suppressor. Also Jerry's in tulsa does free reloading classes.

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I dislike loading ammo. I love shooting.

The 1050 will get you a pile of ammo with little handle pulling time. Add a Mr. Bulletfeeder and it's reloading heaven.

Snag a single stage to check out the process, once you understand what the dies do and how to set them up you're ready for a progressive.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Go see Volmarr and see what it is all about on a progressive and then decide if a single stage will be correct for you.
I started with NO press Then got a Lee classic cast iron press.
I also have the pro 1000 for 45acp and it is a nice deal.
I also have the Lee classic 4 hole turret press i load 45 colt and 357 mag and even have loaded .308 and 30-06 on it.. just as accurate ammo as the single stage.
I use it in manual mode though.

You can use some progressives as a single stage.
I would contact Volmarr that would be your best bet.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would recommend a turret press to start out with. It can be made to be a little bit progressive, is just like a single stage for learning on, you can have a couple of calibers setup and ready to go all the time and they are very versatile and adaptable to your technique.

A $300 budget is going to be tough to get everything you need even with a Lee press and if you go that route the frustration factor will likely be high either due to the slowness of a single stage or the finickiness of their progressive. I got a redding T7 turret on sale for $279. Take you time and you can find some deals.

Latest posts

Top Bottom