I reckon I'm really lucky, got my 1911 back today, and the cracked barrel.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Reloads, sad to say. 200 grain SWC over what was supposed to be 5 grains of Tite-Group. I pulled 35 of the bullets yesterday and weighed the total powder and divided by 35. I got a 5.2 grain average.

I'm in the learning curve on a progressive, and apparently still have some learnin' to go. Right after it blew I pulled 5 bullets and weighed each charge individually, numbers ran from 4.9 to 5.5. 5.2 is max for TiteGroup. That's downright terrible. I'm not gonna mention the brand of the press, as I'm not prone to badmouth tools until I know it's the tools fault and not the operators fault.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Reloads, sad to say. 200 grain SWC over what was supposed to be 5 grains of Tite-Group. I pulled 35 of the bullets yesterday and weighed the total powder and divided by 35. I got a 5.2 grain average.

I'm in the learning curve on a progressive, and apparently still have some learnin' to go. Right after it blew I pulled 5 bullets and weighed each charge individually, numbers ran from 4.9 to 5.5. 5.2 is max for TiteGroup. That's downright terrible. I'm not gonna mention the brand of the press, as I'm not prone to badmouth tools until I know it's the tools fault and not the operators fault.

Dude, that sucks (good that you're not hurt). If it was me (and factory ammo), the manufacturer of that round would be buying me a new 1911.

leadfinger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

You might set your target at 4.7gr, which according to your sampling, would keep you under the max. I load on a progressive too, but still pull one off and weight it from time to time. Practice consistency of movement while pulling that handle.

Latest posts

Top Bottom