I wactched Doomsday Preppers for he first time

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Only if you do it at point blank range!

LOL ... what fun would that be ... I want to shoot at a running target! :D

I was waiting for the estimated time of survival. I guess it is indefinite for the poke down in Costa Rica, and a first day drop for the self-made man in the NW.

No kidding! You and me both!! I was so disappointed when they didn't do that for this episode ... :(

J.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with BB, Costa Rica guy was the one to see. That other jack wagon will be hanged on someone's fence like a coyote in a hurry. I guess idiots sell where TV is concerned. Does anyone here have advice on a hydropontic system like his? Seems like a no brainer in certain climates but is it to cold in OK for an outdoor setup like that?

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with BB, Costa Rica guy was the one to see. That other jack wagon will be hanged on someone's fence like a coyote in a hurry. I guess idiots sell where TV is concerned. Does anyone here have advice on a hydropontic system like his? Seems like a no brainer in certain climates but is it to cold in OK for an outdoor setup like that?

I've been kinda researching hydro/aqua-ponic systems for a little bit now because I wanted to use the stored heat from the water to keep my greenhouse warm in the winter. BUT ... the edge of the El Reno tornado blew my little greenhouse away, so I haven't had the chance to give this a try. I can tell you this ... if you are gonna use tilapia you are gonna have to make it an indoor system because tilapia cannot tolerate the cold. They will croak on you in a heartbeat ... But ... they are tasty and I've seen enough YouTube videos of indoor systems that I am positive it can be done. I just gotta start over and replace my greenhouse ... :(

This month it seems all our "excess" income went to guns and ammo ... which we promptly lost when we took that boat ride out on the lake ... :( I have horrible luck with greenhouses and guns, it seems ...

excat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been kinda researching hydro/aqua-ponic systems for a little bit now because I wanted to use the stored heat from the water to keep my greenhouse warm in the winter. BUT ... the edge of the El Reno tornado blew my little greenhouse away, so I haven't had the chance to give this a try. I can tell you this ... if you are gonna use tilapia you are gonna have to make it an indoor system because tilapia cannot tolerate the cold. They will croak on you in a heartbeat ... But ... they are tasty and I've seen enough YouTube videos of indoor systems that I am positive it can be done. I just gotta start over and replace my greenhouse ... :(

This month it seems all our "excess" income went to guns and ammo ... which we promptly lost when we took that boat ride out on the lake ... :( I have horrible luck with greenhouses and guns, it seems ...

I recommend this book, lots of tricks to heating an outdoor greenhouse, requires a lot of water though to soak up enough heat to disperse when it really counts. Great book to read though for working in a greenhouse. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1555914500/ref=oh_details_o07_s02_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We ended up insulating our green house with bubble wrap this year, and will insulate down the first 3 inches into the soil and up the edge 3" with foam insulation board next year. Since I didn't have time to get everything done this year, I built a hot house inside the green house, which is holding a steady temp of 55 degrees when it's 28 degrees outside. I have 4 - 4" grow bulbs, 4 heat lamps, and 1 small heater. I only run the grow lights during the day so the plants can rest at night, run the radiant heater all day on low setting, and have 1 of the heat lamps on 24/7 so you can see when you go out there at night. Everything is setup on photocells and scheduled timers. The radiant heater only increased my electric bill by less than $10, so I can't complain about that.

BB- what kind of greenhouse did you have?

SomeCallMeMom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm setting up shop on the corner. My sign will say "Free C-sections, need practice!". Then tomorrow I'm going to Home Depot and will buy roofing tar and ceramic tiles to make my own body armor.

Hahahaha! Sadly, you might still end up with a line of people waiting. "FREE" is a very magical word it seems... As for the body armor, I want pics :)

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
BB- what kind of greenhouse did you have?

Ohhh ... thanks for the book recommendation!

It was just a little plastic one from TSC ... Only paid $40 for it (snagged it on sale 50% off), thank goodness, or I'd be really pissed the storm got it. Right not with skeleton that is left is housing a feral cat that has started hanging out in my back yard. I'm gonna get out there today and separate the two sides that have shelves left and mount them to the fence over on the south side of the house so I can put some potted plants over there this spring. It gets great sun over there but the folks that were here before me concreted both side yards from the house to the property line. :scratch: I'll admit it does make things neater, no mud/dirt to deal with, but it's kinda hard to grow things in concrete! :D

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wife watches ALL the episodes, has the HOPPA set to record.

I noticed the new season doesn't score their 'preparedness', but then again always wondered about who / how the scoring was done. The ones I have seen seemed to score between 50 and 70 points. Why not show how to score in the 90's? One couple had their hideyhole beside a river, but no water storage or purification system and scored 19 of 20. Another had a HUGE rainwater collection / purification system and a lake nearby, yet scored 14 of 20.

'Doomsday Castle' tried to watch it once, total waste of time. just trying to cash in on 'reality TV' BS, take a total fringe, dysfunctional family and script them into 'Jersey Shores'. More interested filming dysfunction than the actual building of the castle, which is another total waste of time and money.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I want them to do a reality show about homeless people and how they survive. I can't remember where GC and I were driving last week but we passed a bend and there was a spot back in the trees off the highway where someone was obviously living -- had a tent set up and laundry hanging on tree branches. They'd drug a recliner out there ... That's what caught my eye. A guy sitting in a bright blue recliner watching the traffic go by ...

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I want them to do a reality show about homeless people and how they survive. I can't remember where GC and I were driving last week but we passed a bend and there was a spot back in the trees off the highway where someone was obviously living -- had a tent set up and laundry hanging on tree branches. They'd drug a recliner out there ... That's what caught my eye. A guy sitting in a bright blue recliner watching the traffic go by ...[/QUOTE]

REAL reality TV ..................... and no doubt, the true survivors.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Why do people think it's real? You audition for the show. Then if you're selected the producers give you a doomsday scenario to prepare for. Then they pay you money for your apperance on the show. Then you can buy more cool toys. A friend of ours from Ketchikan, Alaska was just on the episode that aired last week. I'm thinking about trying to go to the next casting call. I'm just not sure a moose whisperer is gonna make the cut though. A unique skill I have but it doesn't really fit into any doomsday preperations.

Lol that's the way it happens. I have a friend that have auditioned and actually appeared on some shooting shows. It was all pre arranged, and the producers introduce drama into the show to gain audience. My friend was beating the rest of them hands down, and the producers gave him a rifle that was not sighted in accurately, and he lost the challenge, eventually leading to his ejection from the show.

Its all BS

Latest posts

Top Bottom