I weighed some handguns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I only have a few semi auto 40 and 45acp.
Empty magazines on all. Weights are in ounces.

46.56 Hi-Point 45
40.91 Taurus PT1911
39.85 Lightened slide 45 Hi-Point
39.50 Lightened slide 40 Hi-Point.

I did this to see if I could get the weight down and thin the width to make the those
Hi-Points easier to carry in the woods.
I need to go shoot them soon and see how they act.

D V US

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Please don't fire those lightened Hi-points around me! Hi-points don't use a locking slide/barrel to delay the action from opening too early. Instead they rely on spring pressure and the massive slide weight to keep from opening early. Too light and you are inviting disaster.

D V US

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Other problems I see headed your way due to the lightened slides, assuming the gun doesn't blow up from opening too early...
Cracked frames
Cracked or completely broken slides
Damaged internal parts
Voided warranty (Oh wait, that one already happened when you modified it)
Sheared sights
Jamming (contrary to popular belief, Hi-points can be very reliable if kept clean and well maintained.)

Seriously, please don't shoot these with the lightened slides. It's just not worth the risk. If the manufacturer could make them safe and reliable with lighter slides, don't you think they would and save the money on materials?

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All valid points and very valid if you shoot store ammo.
I do not shoot store ammo and never even bought any 40 or 45 store ammo in my life.
I shoot soft powder coated cast at slow velocities.

These slides are spares and will first be used for experimental purposes for my slow loads.
I did make some ammo for the 40 starting at book minimum for 180 gr cast and it packed quite a wallop compared to my 230 or 250 gr cast loads for the 45.

I did not care for the recoil of the 180 I am not saying it was brutal but it was too much for can plinking.
I will shoot with heavy and light slide and see if there is a difference in accuracy -velocity or recoil.
I will then inspect for any cracks etc.

Hand loads in my savage rifles voids warranty also.
Not worried about a warranty.
And I do not feel these will break but we will see.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From my understanding (because I will not own a Hi-Point), they use mass to create strength in their slide metallurgy instead of using stronger metal. Couple the reduction in strength with the increased velocity of the slide due to the pistol now being over sprung and I'll bet you start wearing out parts much faster. Not to mention what the other poster said about the slide unlocking before the bullet clears the barrel (however, I will admit that I am purposely ignorant on the cycle of operation on a Hi-Point).

I understand that you are going to shoot light handloads because of this as your work-around. However as a 'woods carry gun', why use an anemic handload?

Not that I want to discourage you from experimentation.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
However as a 'woods carry gun', why use an anemic handload?
45 acp will pass through a deer with ease.
I have killed one at 47 paces with 1 shot 800 fps 230 gr.

I found it does not take much to kill a deer or other critter.
Shot placement is key as we know .. But there are those animals that do not know they are dead yet.

My normal loads for 45 acp are in the 700 fps area for 200 gr cast.
It is enjoyable to shoot and accurate and way down on pressure and velocity.

When I shot the 40 I felt the rounds created way too much recoil and reduced my loads and I think I checked them in the low 600 fps area 180 cast.

If it shows signs of beating up the gun I will scrap these lightened slides and use them as wall hangers.

I do not know of many people that shoot low and slow loads but I enjoy them.

D V US

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Be sure to take a buddy with you (hopefully hiding behind cover) when you do your testing. Hopefully you don't wind up like that one guy who had the .50 cal blow up.

Latest posts

Top Bottom