identify this spider please!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
also whats up with the accordion like piece of web? is that normal for them?

yeah it is in all of their webs, I am not sure of the significance of it though....

Not all Argiope build in these "accordion" pieces of web (called a stabilimentum) - only those species that spin their webs during the day do so.

The function of stabilimenta is not really known. Could be to break up the outline of the spider, or to make the web more visible to birds and other creatures that might otherwise damage the web in passing through. The stabilimenta could also reflect more UV light, thus attracting more insects. There's a Wiki article about this here.

snipes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've seen them referred to as a Golden Orb Spider.
they're really cool when you're walking into the woods before dawn on your way to your deerstand and you run into one.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cool!! I've had one on my back porch for awhile now. Had no idea what kind of a spider it was. I leave him/her alone...figure it'll keep other bugs away.

She'll lay all her eggs in a quarter sized sack way up in the corner of the eaves somewhere and die.

I had about a dozen or so around this summer that I was feeding grasshoppers to. I think they've all died except one. Neat to have around.

Latest posts

Top Bottom