If Arsenal AK's are the best, which one to get?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okla1911

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Let's say you wanted to consider an Arsenal what is the difference besides the stock between the SAM7R and the SAM7SF? Thanks for the input on the other brands of AK, I will investigate them.

K-Var is having a sale on SLR 107-FR for just shy of 1000.00. I think I'm gonna get one of those.

Ambi safety on SF.

http://www.k-var.com/shop/SLR-107-Series-7.62x39-Caliber-Bulgarian-Stamped-Receiver-Rifles/

This is what I picked up today.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have an SGL which I enjoy very much and it has never let me down. However, the SLR I previously owned had a better fit and feel to it. It was as smooth as butter. I think you will be happy with either of these models from arsenal. But you will be slightly happier with the SLR.

I wanted to heavily modify my AK and just couldn't get myself to cut on the SLR. So I did it to the SGL which didn't bother me as much.

promiseofwar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have an SGL which I enjoy very much and it has never let me down. However, the SLR I previously owned had a better fit and feel to it. It was as smooth as butter. I think you will be happy with either of these models from arsenal. But you will be slightly happier with the SLR.

I wanted to heavily modify my AK and just couldn't get myself to cut on the SLR. So I did it to the SGL which didn't bother me as much.

That is good to hear about the SLR, which is the one I ordered from K-VAR. I didn't know if the 999.00 was the sale price or is the normal pricing. I saved ~300.00 not getting a milled version.

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
SLR = Bulgarian AK's
SGL = Russian AK's.

If you want a truer AK100 style rifle in all calibers, then you want an SGL. If you want something that's a bit of a hybrid between an AK100 series and AK74's series rifle, then go Bulgarian.

Some of the differences between the two lines of Arsenals.

SGL
Uses all AK100 series internal guts for all calibers (thin stem bolt with modern bolt head and extractor design, lighter bolt carrier, smooth piston head)
Stock angle is straight back like an AR. Stocks use the modern 5mm retainers. Not directly interchangeable with Bulgarian designs.
They do not install the pistol grip reinforcement plate on SGL's for some reasons.
Muzzle brake is not chrome lined.
Dust cover is AK100 version that's smooth.
Arguably, parts for AK100 type rifles will be more easily found and interchangeable.
Basically the best Saiga conversion off the shelf from a company (not counting gunsmiths who specialize like Jim Fuller, ect.). Arsenal is able to import Saigas with certain features already retained, thus no extra holes you would normally get if you converted yourself.
Finish is cheap factory finish. Will flake off if you sneeze at it :)

SLR
For 7.62x39 calibers, uses classic style internals with some proprietary parts. Carrier is the classic bulky carrier and piston head is ridged, not smooth.
Bolt head is the older style thicker stemmed version. Proprietary firing pin with return spring to prevent slam fires on reloads with soft primers.
Dust cover is the old AK74 ridged style
Older SLR rifles used true Bulgarian muzzle brakes that are chrome lined. Not sure if these newer ones for $999 are chrome lined or uses the US made, non-chrome lined versions.
Has pistol reinforcement plate installed. This is a very good thing for side folders.
Stock uses the older 4mm pins for folding stocks. Stocks have a very slight angle that's closer to how classic AK's are.
Parts may be harder to source. Basically K-Var is your only source, especially for firing pins and bolt heads for 7.62x39 caliber rifles.
Finish on older versions is rumored to be gunkote, so it's more durable. Not sure what the finish is on these newer ones.

You can't go wrong with either one. I lean a little more towards the SGL's but only because they seem slightly lighter and I like the Russian stamp on it. Parts seem a little more readily available and I also like the stock angle a bit better, since it goes straight back and shoulders a little more like an AR to me. For 7.62x39, I don't mind the Bulgarians and it's perhaps more truer to the design for that caliber. For 5.45x39, I'd definitely get an SGL instead because the it's truer to what the modern Russian AK100 series of rifles are.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Now that the OP has his answer and has made a decision, I hope it's OK to ask tangential questions about the SGL's here; Aestus, you seem to know what you're talking about :wink2: Why is the SGL series so darned expensive? The cheapest I've found NIB seems to be $1200. I like the rifle and want to get one mainly because I have a supply of surplus 5.45 ammo, but that much money for an AK?

ETA: Perhaps what I should ask is this; what goes into an Arsenal AK that "justifies" their cost relative to other AK's?

Last edited:

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Now that the OP has his answer and has made a decision, I hope it's OK to ask tangential questions about the SGL's here; Aestus, you seem to know what you're talking about :wink2: Why is the SGL series so darned expensive? The cheapest I've found NIB seems to be $1200. I like the rifle and want to get one mainly because I have a supply of surplus 5.45 ammo, but that much money for an AK?

ETA: Perhaps what I should ask is this; what goes into an Arsenal AK that "justifies" their cost relative to other AK's?

SGL's used to be cheap, heh. I remember when you could get an Arsenal SGL for like $600 back in late 2011 and early 2012:) Prices for Arsenal have almost doubled in about a year.

I would say the increase in cost is probably relative to the increase in cost for the base Saiga rifles. Saiga's in the sporter configuration used to be had for $200-$300. Now a base Saiga costs about $500-$600. The price increases probably also reflect the increase in cost for the conversion parts that Arsenal uses or manufactures and also reflects that Arsenal has a monopoly in the US for non-surplus, as close to mil spec, current issue modern military configuration AKs. There aren't really any other manufacturer / dealer selling modern mil spec (or close to mil spec) AK's in the US. All other AK's are surplus parts guns built on a US receiver and usually a US barrel.

Arsenal is the only US manufacturer of AK74 style brakes that is a true Bulgarian style brake with slit ports in the front and the staggered port holes on top. All the other AK74 style brakes work, but not as well as the real Bulgarian brakes or the Arsenal manufactured clones. Both the SGL and SLR comes with the original receivers and new cold hammer forged barrels (from their country of origin) that are chrome lined. These are the same barrels used in the actual rifles for the Russian or Bulgarian military. Most surplus rifles are built with US made barrels that aren't cold hammer forged and some may or may not be chrome lined. For whatever reason, there still aren't any US manufactures making quality cold hammer forged AK barrels that matches Russian or Bulgarian barrels. Hopefully this changes in the near future.

Back when Arsenals could be had for $500-$800, the question was "why wouldn't you just buy an Arsenal?" It was cheaper than doing a Saiga conversion yourself and you know that it was as close to mil-spec and was going to work right out of the box. It's basically the Colt of the AK's. Now with SGL's going for 1200, I'm not so sure anymore. I haven't done a Saiga conversion in a while, but I'm willing to bet that even the increase in Saiga sporter prices, you could probably save about $200 if you converted your own. Probably still not worth it if you're wanting a side folder, as that requires a bit more tools and gunsmithing to do.

Sandy Hook really jacked the prices of Arsenal to the +$1000 ranges. I know some of the price increases can't be avoided due to the increases in price for the base rifles and parts, but it's also due to Arsenal now being a brand name and having a monopoly in the US for production mil spec AK rifles.

Latest posts

Top Bottom