If you won the lottery... where would you live???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lasher

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
it's always been my fantasy to buy the largest land yacht available, hire a driver, go to vegas and hire the finest blond, redhead, brunette hookers available and road trip the country. i'm almost too old for that fantasy but i'd go down trying LOL

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm in the group of buy large, wooded acreage in Oklahoma and put a house in the middle. It would need a river or large creek running through it. Some of the winnings would be used for a cabin in the Rocky Mountains.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For me I'd want to get as far away from people as possible while maintaining accessibility to necessary services. "Getting away" to me means more than physical distance, it means minimizing intrusion from the world. Along those lines, one of the first things I'd do is set up a Trust with a major financial institution, with caveats for independent accounting reviews. Then I'd never pay another bill in my life (personally). :)

After that I'd go about locating suitable digs. While I do love a lot of things about Oklahoma, the summer climate here is not agreeable to me at all. I'd probably keep a small place here tucked away close to or on a good fishing lake, but I'd be looking for a couple of places for the summers and winters. I honestly don't know where I'd locate, but some criteria would be temperate climate, not too much wind, great fishing and outdoors activities, good driving roads, decent gun laws and strong self-defense laws. Obviously cost of living wouldn't be a factor, so that opens up more possibilities. Other than gun and self-defense laws, politics would no longer matter to me because I wouldn't pay any attention to it. Minimizing contact with people wouldn't be an obsession, but it wouldn't be an afterthought either.

A few of things I'd want to avoid permanently are: mowing or maintaining outdoor spaces; housework; maintenance of any kind except my guns; resolving issues with electronics or information systems; paying bills; people I don't like. So, where should I look for these things?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For me it would have to be a big log home on the Kenai River in Alaska, with a place to park the float plane in the summer with a winter home on one of the Florida keys that has a private dock to park my offshore boat loaded with fishing gear and scuba equipment.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What we are doing now. Living in an RV and retired and traveling when we want to. Retired at the end of June 2014 and moved to Colorado Springs area. Lived there 20 months and moved to SW Oregon, where we are now. Moved here in April of 2016, but we may likely move in the Fall of next year.

DSC_6461.JPG

As for the lottery money, I'd pay off all debts, put aside enough to continue traveling the country, and the rest would be donated to a number of worthy charities and churches that we have attended over the years. Just guessing, but I would imagine $1 million or $2 million would be more than enough for us.

okie362

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
it's always been my fantasy to buy the largest land yacht available, hire a driver, go to vegas and hire the finest blond, redhead, brunette hookers available and road trip the country. i'm almost too old for that fantasy but i'd go down trying LOL

Interesting choice of words.
LMAO

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
As for the lottery money, I'd pay off all debts, put aside enough to continue traveling the country, and the rest would be donated to a number of worthy charities and churches that we have attended over the years. Just guessing, but I would imagine $1 million or $2 million would be more than enough for us.

I knew what YOUR answer would be, schlub! lol. j/k

I know what you mean... wife and I already made the commitment a long time ago that 50% of anything we won would either be donated outright or if a large enough amount, put into a managed trust to continue charitable donation into the future.

I'd also immediately hire a lawyer and accounting firm and investment firm to claim the money in the name of a trust I would set up and do all I could not to have my name published as the winner. I know in some states it is required, but in some states you can claim the money privately, as well - this would be my goal.

Then, disappear. lol

Latest posts

Top Bottom