Illegal Aliens and gun purchase

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waltercat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How does this apply to the current wave of illegals? I mean are these illegals 'under a nonimmigrant visa'?

From ATF web site.
Prohibited if a person:
(5) Is an alien illegally or unlawfully in the United States or an alien admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa;

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do other countries allow this for US citizens?
I don’t know the legal jargon, but I know a few people that have been long term missionaries to other countries. I do know a former preacher and his wife went to Thailand for a few years, but they had to do it under the guise of being teachers at a university. They did have work visas.

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you are on an immigrant visa, like a LPR (Lawful Permanent Resident = Green Card), I believe you can purchase a firearm. If you are on a non-immigrant visa (student, H1B, or similar), you cannot. Illegal aliens cannot buy legally buy firearms.

The difference is someone who is legally authorized to live here permanently, can buy a firearm.

And just FYI, if you have a family member that is a green card holder you should encourage them to get their citizenship as soon as possible. I knew British guy that had a green card, and had lived in United States for 35 years, and was deported for multiple DUIs. That would not have happened to him had he gotten his citizenship.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You have to go thru the entire legal immigration process to get a green card.

I also had a British friend who moved him and his wife, and their business, from England to Colorado back around 2010 or so. Doing all this legally cost him over a million dollars. First thing he did when he got his green card was come to my shop and buy some guns.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am but a guardhouse attorney but if they crossed our borders illegally, they committed a felony. However, that is debatable in that they were aided by our own government which would make them somewhat legal.
Someone that is guilty of a felony is prohibited from purchasing a firearm as I remember but one can always seal or buy a gun on the streets. So, they are dangerous and are deserving of giving a wide berth.

Waltercat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
However, that is debatable in that they were aided by our own government which would make them somewhat legal.

This is kinda what confuses me. What officially is their status after they are offloaded from a bus.

Latest posts

Top Bottom