I'm getting into the 6.8 SPC game... any advice?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For quite a while, I have been entertaining the idea of a 6.8 SPC for hunting and battle rifle/DMR use, as an alternative to 7.62x51. I have long been sold on the ballistics and the fact that it is based on the light weight, reliable, and highly standardized AR-15 design, but cheap surplus ammo is what has always kept me with the thirty cal.

This week I finally decided to start a build, and ordered one of Palmetto's CHF 16" 6.8 SPC II uppers and a stack of Gen 2 D&H mags. I see that AIM Surplus has HPT/MPI BCGs for $99, and am leaning towards one of those to finish it off. I will probably shave the gas block, free float it, and go with a linear comp.

I see there is a pretty good selection of bullets to choose from. I'm thinking I can come up with a good bonded core hunting load that will also double as a barrier blind anti-personnel load for 2A purposes, and hopefully one that will deliver MOA or better accuracy. I'm thinking about the Nosler 100 grain Accubond.

What kind of powder/loads have worked well for y'all? I have Varget and IMR4895, and from what I'm reading, neither of those will work too well for this cartridge, especially out of a 16" tube. H322 appears to be popular and gets good velocity.

I'd be glad to hear any advice from any of y'all who have been down this road.

Pharr Shot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been thinking myself on getting/building a 6.8 SPC AR.
I like the ballistics and statistics on the caliber. I think it's personally better than the .223 within 300yrds or so. Now anything out farther, that I'm not quite sure on.
If SHTF, you're more than likely gonna' be in an urban area so the 6.8 SPC will be better than the .223 as far as "stopping power" and all the other BS.
My only problem with it is finding it and price of the ammo. :cry11:

Wolf44

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Even reloading back with normal pricing -- you were looking at $$.66c a round roughly. Nice platform and such to 200-300yrds, etc...............but a well tuned 762x39 unit is more user friendly and far easier on the time and $$$ fronts......

OKC03Cobra

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Even reloading back with normal pricing -- you were looking at $$.66c a round roughly. Nice platform and such to 200-300yrds, etc...............but a well tuned 762x39 unit is more user friendly and far easier on the time and $$$ fronts......

AK's are not known for their accuracy. My Stag Model 7 is extremely accurate well beyond 300 yards.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
2200 & 322 seem to be the go-to powders for the cartridge, but I haven't started reloading for mine yet. I have 400 rounds of SSA 115gr BTHP and 200 rds of Federal Fusion 115's.

I went with a Wilson Combat 16" SS barrel and a Noveske NSR rail, with a Wilson low pro gas block and a Kies Blastmaster linear comp (which I'm very happy with). It's well below 1 MOA and I've been very impressed.

At the same time, my cousin went with a PSA 18" 6.8, on which we shaved the gas block and installed a Troy TRX-E rail. He with with a Black River Tactical linear comp. His isn't as accurate as mine, but for the money it's quite good.

Let us know if you work up a good load, as I'll eventually get around to that myself.

JW/OK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not into AR's, but the 6.8 is a great round for deer and antelope size game. I shoot a 23" Contender Carbine with the old Silver States Armory load with the Barnes Triple X bullet. Nearly a dozen deer and antelope harvested and never recovered a bullet. All one shot, no tracking with the devastating wound channel of the XXX bullet. Also sub MOA accuracy.

ByrdC130

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
My set up is an Anderson Arms lower I built w/collapsible stock and a 16.5" CMMG piston upper with a Vortex 3x9x40 scope. Have been getting 1" @100yrd groups fairly easily with SSA & V-max 115grn bullets.

Latest posts

Top Bottom