Impressed with H&H (Taurus TCP report)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blutch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes.. I am the same guy that started the thread a few days ago that was titled: "Frustrated with H&H"

Sunday I went ahead and bought the gun at their price anyway. I got great service by Larry who sold me the gun. I bought a box of Fiocchi ammo too.

I didn't get to fire the gun right away, but took it home and loaded up some of the ammo. The gun wouldn't feed the ammo correctly. Something kept hanging up the slide from coming all the way forward. hmmmmmmm this happened with both mags too. So, rather than tear it down and clean it up I took it back to H&H today.. they confirmed that there was something wrong with it.

Even though they didn't have to, they swapped it out with another one. I was surprised they did that.. the first guy didn't want to, but he let me talk to Mike who was some kind of manager. He made it right and did the swap. Had I fired or cleaned the gun they wouldn't have done it. I don't know too many gun shops that would have done this, so kudos t H & H!

Unfortunately, although It seemed to be feeding the ammo fine, when I took it to the range the same thing kept happening.. several FTF, FTE's and most of the time the slide wouldn't cycle all the way.. I had t manually push it forward about a quarter inch. ACK!

I am sincerely hoping this is an ammo issue and that it will work better with different ammo. It sure doesn't like the Fiocchi. Mike said the gunsmith thought it was the indicator bar on the side not clearing the rim of the cartridge. If it won't work with other ammo I will have to send it back to Taurus.. crap.

Now the good news. For a very small pocket gun, this thing is incredibly accurate and easy to shoot. Much more accurate than the other small .380's I've shot - LCP and Kel-tec. Very nice trigger and actually feels good in my hand. Very little recoil. It shot great groups at 7 and 10 yards.

I really hope to get this gun running well because it was a joy to shoot for such a small gun. I'm looking for any ideas on how I can fix this problem short of sending it back. Thanks!

B

andrsnsm

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Unfortunately, although It seemed to be feeding the ammo fine, when I took it to the range the same thing kept happening.. several FTF, FTE's and most of the time the slide wouldn't cycle all the way.. I had t manually push it forward about a quarter inch. ACK!

I am sincerely hoping this is an ammo issue and that it will work better with different ammo. It sure doesn't like the Fiocchi. Mike said the gunsmith thought it was the indicator bar on the side not clearing the rim of the cartridge. If it won't work with other ammo I will have to send it back to Taurus.. crap.

B

Definitely try different ammo. Mine fed Winchester (white box) perfectly. Agree that the TCP shoots very well. I was very surprised about the minimal recoil and that it didn't bite hard like a Ruger LCP.

helmethead

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I like the tcp but Id prefer to stick with 9mm since thats what i'm reloading.

do you know if the 709 is about the same size or is the 738 quite a bit smaller?

blutch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i sold the 709 to get the tcp. it is considerably smaller and lighter the 709 will not work well as a pocket gun. i was suprised to find the tcp shoots better . however< the 709 had no problem feeding ammo either.

b

Burk Cornelius

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
blutch, I want to give big kudos out to you as well. Not very many people will come back and praise something/someone that they had previously admonished for whatever reason.

Good job!

BC

Latest posts

Top Bottom