Increased ATF Agent Contacts and requirements to obtain an FFL

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinkhamr

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I had an ATF Agent contact me last week about an AR15 (that I had sold almost 2 years ago) being among some weapons found on a truck headed for Mexico. There was no real discussion, only that he was advising me of the fact and made reference to 'Fast and Furious'. . Along with that he advised me that due to the number of transactions that I had had over the last few years that I should submit the necessary paperwork to obtain an FFL License. I have also learned that a few other folks in the area have also been contacted and advised to do the same thing. I have been a collector of firearms for over 35 years and have bought, sold and traded weapons over this time but it is not a 'Business' for me. My primary goal has to improve my collection and the majority of my my transactions have always been through an FFL. I am also wondering if there has been a significant increase in ATF 'Contacts' with other 'Hobbiests' recently. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

reddog1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ahhh screw em, you are not doing anything wrong. When they brought up fast and furious, you should have let them have it.

They have to have proof that you are engaging in the business, that is pretty hard to get from a hobbyist.

bee-r549

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Moore police contacted me a while back to let me know they found a stolen ruger p-91 of mine. Said it was found going over the border by ice agents. I tried to get it back from them , even worked down in El Paso where they recovered it. Needless to say no one could ever come up with it.

dak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How are they contacting people about guns they used to own if there is no national registration???

By going directly back to the manufacturer and going down the line of who bought it which is usually Manufacturer > Distributor > FFL > Person who filled out 4473. That's why some people want name/address if they sell a gun privately.

superdave65

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had heard the same thing from one of my regular vendors. The law allows for private sale of firearms in Oklahoma. The ATF is cracking down on some folks that are buying and selling used firearms as a business without a having a FFL.

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow. Is there a number of guns a guy can purchase (only thing they would be able to have a record of)? Seems like a limit would violate one's 2nd Amendment rights. F them. You are not breaking any laws. What a muscle flexing son of a *****. Did you get his name?

I would have thought the "Fast and Furious" thing would be taboo for any ATF agent to utter.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had heard the same thing from one of my regular vendors. The law allows for private sale of firearms in Oklahoma. The ATF is cracking down on some folks that are buying and selling used firearms as a business without a having a FFL.

I do a lot of buying, not much selling or trading though. One of these days I might sell of a metric ton of firearms to fund a m-16 purchase.

Latest posts

Top Bottom