Inherited firearms

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I managed to get all of my granddad's firearms. One I gave to my cousin which I shouldn't have. Remington 870 Wingmaster. Oh it was smooth. learned to hunt on that sucker.

Sold one Remington 7600 .30-06. The rest will stay in my possession. Four of which have special value. Winchester 67 single action 22. First gun I ever shot. Its not pretty by any means. Browning A-5 Who doesn't want one. And my two prized possessions. Colt Detective Special 100% less one buggered screw. S&W Model 10 .38 Had it not spent 50+ years in a leather holster it would be 100 % as well. Instead it has some wear on either side of the muzzle and on the edges of the cylinder. Other than that its the best looking blued firearm I own. Yes It beats the Colt's finish by a mile.

The others are shooters that get regular use at the range. I've hopefully added to this collection with firearms my son or grandson will never part with.

EFsDad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My Dad, may he live to be 103, has quite a big lot of firearms that will be split between me and my brother. He has matching Browning 270s that he and Mom hunt with that are already stamped with my brother and me's initials. There are a few more in there that Dad has that we won't ever part with, but the rest were trades, gun show finds or won at a DU or WTF or QU or SI banquet and have no significant ties to Dad or our family. I will probably keep them all as I have yet to sell a gun, but my brother will likely sell his that have no ties and pocket the cash. I will not begrudge him one iota for doing so.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The firearms my dad has that I know of are a S&W .38 revolver and a pistol that I can't remember what it is. None of my brothers are really into guns like I am so I think I will probably get those.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In spite of my Grandpa homesteading in the Panhandle, I never remember seeing a firearm in his house or his vehicles. My dad's fishing and hunting equipment was stolen by the son of a friend who was keeping Dad's gun cabinet for him. So, I had no opportunity to inherit any weapons.

I do still have my first rifle, a Remington Model 514 single-shot .22, that I bought with $16 when I was about 10 years old. First shot out the barrel got a jackrabbit. It can't really be used as the bolt handle was lost long ago, and I can't find a way to get it fixed. Sadly, because of that, it hasn't received the care that it should have.

As for the rest of my firearms, I have two sons with only one which would be interested in what I own. I have two grandsons, but their dad probably wouldn't allow any weapons in his house. With 3 kids now and another on the way, I won't argue with that. Too many cases of a curious child shooting another.

So, if my youngest should pass before me, I'll just sell everything I have, put the money into Traveler's Checks, and then have those and my weapons buried with me.

J.P.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dunno'.......I've never honestly been into the esoterics of firearms.
Either they are an active and useful tool or I don't really need them.
Maybe some people share my opinion and just sell off the ones they won't use. :anyone:

I did inherit a 1921 Colt Government model (commercial model) that my grand dad brought back from WWII.
Er...and I think it's got a "curse" or something.....everything that has been shot with it has dropped dead instantly.

BobBarker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have sold/traded some inherited guns on here. They are guns that the deceased never used, displayed, talked about, etc. They are guns that no one in my family of shooters would have ever shot. They were used to buy guns that actually will get used and we do frequently as a family. I wouldnt get rid of my grandfathers A5, but a Jimenez that he got in trade for a worn out drill, absolutely.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Only gun I have from my dad is his old Ariska Type 38 he brought back from WWII.
It was an old rusted beat up old milsurp that was missing the firing pin.
I've cleaned it up and got it in working order.
I think my son will keep it in that shape when he inherits it later.

Latest posts

Top Bottom