Insane Shift Change of French Lighthouse Keepers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RugersGR8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I liked the comment on how they built the lighthouse in the first place---let alone doing the shift changes.

Insane Shift Change of French Lighthouse Keepers
Published on Jun 9, 2014

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
No doubt, that sucks. I am guessing they probably do a week or more at a stretch? Man... getting food and supplies on and off, that must be a crazy deal. I still can't figure out how they made that stupid lighthouse out there in the middle of nowhere in the first place! I just read the link in the comments about another one and how they built it... insane!

RugersGR8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have since found a website that possibly this lighthouse has been automated and doesn't require an onsite crew. However, I would still imagine that a routine maintenance crew would have to make visits from time to time(this would mean that no one would be in the lighthouse when they arrived). Perhaps the new maintenance crews would have to be lowered down to the lighthouse via helicopter? This would still not be a fun commute, IMHO.

Related link to the life of lighthouse keepers:

The Life of a Lighthouse Keeper 1

Last edited:

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess I am an oddball. Throw me out there with a recliner, tv, computer, my server and internet connection and just send me supplies as needed.

Also wouldn't bother me getting up or down when needed.

Latest posts

Top Bottom