Grammar, OK< which is correct?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
I left them alone.

I let them alone.

They left me alone.

They let me alone.

The context is in another thread, I did not disturb the bikers I met on the turnpike. So is this correct the way I configured my sentence?

I wasn't clear on the proper usage so I made a mistake and Googled it. Now, I'm even more confused. Google automatically changed the tense of the word thus changing the meaning.

Searched - left them alone meaning.

Refrain from disturbing or interfering with someone. For example, She'll manage very well if you just leave her alone, or Stop teasing the dog; let him alone.

Searched - Left them alone vs let them alone

1 “Leave alone” means to leave a person all by himself (in solitude). Please leave me alone, I don't want company. Alvin needs to study, so let's leave him alone in his room. “Let alone,” on the other hand, means to stop bothering the person.Apr 27, 2010

2 The verb leave means to go away from or put in a place. As a noun, leave means permission to do something—in particular, permission to be away from a job or military service. Let means permit or allow. In the imperative, let is used to introduce a request or proposal—as in "Let's vote."Mar 31, 2019

let someone or something alone​

and leave someone or something alone; leave someone or something be
to avoid touching, bothering, or communicating with someone or something
. Leave me alone. I don't want your help. Let it alone! Don't touch it! It may be hot!

View attachment 388277
If you say ether one as fast as these kids operating the drive through window, no one can understand it anyway!!

FrankNmac

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Capitalization is also important!

horse.png

Decoligny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you didn’t cause them grief or injury, you let them alone, or you let them be.

If you departed with the purpose of leaving an individual or a group in solitude, you left them alone.

This is the correct grammatical use of the English language.

Common vernacular of course almost never matches 100% with correct grammar.

Latest posts

Top Bottom