Interesting run-in with Tulsa Cty Sheriff's officer--need input

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tak1973

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A little background: I moved here from TX back in summer of 2009. Transferred my TX CCL from in-state to a non-resident. I took the OK CC class when we moved, but just haven't taken the time to get the license yet. my TX non-resident CCL is good thru 2/2012.

I was pulled over today in Owasso for allegedly driving 46 in a 40 MPH zone. Had my licenses and insurance out and ready. Informed him of my weapon and he went back to his car. A few minutes later he calls me back to his car and tells me that I was required to have an OK CCL if I am a resident of OK. He said my TX license (with OK address on it) was no longer valid in OK. I told him I respectfully disagree, and OK honors Texas' non-resident license the same as it would a non-res from Utah, Florida, etc. He stated that I MUST have an OK license to carry in OK if I am a resident.

He continued to lecture me about how he was an LEO and knew all the laws. I decided not to press the matter (since he wasn't offering to arrest me) and the conversation moved on to other things. He gave me a warning and a parting word of advice that he didn't really care if I carried or not, since I was 'obviously' one of the 'good guys'.

Was he correct about the licensing requirements? When I moved here, I took the class to get myself up to speed on OK's laws. Although the class was not very good; I feel I have a good understanding of the laws. If he is wrong, I am considering informing his superior. If he chooses to pursue an incorrect understanding of the law, he could put his dept in considerable legal trouble.

Opinions?

bulbboy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know the law off hand - but if you are right you might print something out to keep with you to kindly show them.

Or just get an Okla CCL

carleb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Respectfully, I would just consider the encounter as a "no lost skin" issue and move immediately to get my OK CCL. It's not worth the arguement and you've been here long enough to have taken care of it anyway.

Just do the right thing and forget it.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oklahoma recognizes all valid carry permits, per OK statutes. The particular OK LEO you met is misinformed. You took the conservative route by not arguing the case with the local LEO. Hopefully the officer will talk about his day with other officers, one of whom can point him to the appropriate statute.

As mentioned above, you need to print and carry with you the TX statutes that allow you to have a TX non-resident CCW. As you say, continue on with your plans to get an OK CCW. Remember that an OK SDA/CCW permit becomes invalid once you become a resident of another state.

Last edited:

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do you really want the hassle of being arrested by someone who is not as easy going as this officer? Even if he is wrong, you still will be arrested, booked and have to bond out. Then you'll have to show up in court and/or speak with an ADA to get the case dismissed. Most likely, you'll have to hire a lawyer. Then when you do apply for your OK CCL, you'll have to explain your arrest.

Nraman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do you really want the hassle of being arrested by someone who is not as easy going as this officer? Even if he is wrong, you still will be arrested, booked and have to bond out. Then you'll have to show up in court and/or speak with an ADA to get the case dismissed. Most likely, you'll have to hire a lawyer. Then when you do apply for your OK CCL, you'll have to explain your arrest.

I think that once you get arrested it stays on record for ever and you can't get rid of it, regardless of whether you were guilty of anything. Is that correct?

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think it stays on your record in so much that it will show up on OSCN.net. So for example, if you get a DUI and get a deferred and successfully complete the terms, I think it still will show up you have been arrested. Since I don't do criminal cases, I am not 100% sure.

Latest posts

Top Bottom