Interesting run-in with Tulsa Cty Sheriff's officer--need input

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the new utah law says you have to have a carry license from your state of residence to get one from utah now.
kind of worthless.

Yes, but for several years Oklahoma residents were flocking to take that course because it was cheap, fast and required no shooting. There are a lot of people with those licenses. The ones already granted are not invalidated because of the recent change in Utah law.

FAL guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://www.oscn.net/applications/oscn/DeliverDocument.asp?CiteID=69809

"RECIPROCAL AGREEMENT AUTHORITY

The State of Oklahoma hereby recognizes any valid concealed carry weapons permit or license issued by another state.

Any person entering this state in possession of a firearm authorized for concealed carry upon the authority and license of another state is authorized to continue to carry a concealed firearm and license in this state; provided the license from the other state remains valid. The firearm must be carried fully concealed from detection and view, and upon coming in contact with any peace officer of this state, the person must disclose the fact that he or she is in possession of a concealed firearm pursuant to a valid concealed carry weapons permit or license issued in another state. Any person who is twenty-one (21) years of age or older having a valid firearm license from another state may apply for a concealed handgun license in this state immediately upon establishing a residence in this state.

"

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oklahoma honors both Texas Resident CCW and Texas Non-Resident CCW.

If your license is active and valid as a Texas Non-Resident CCW then there is no reason I can think of that would prohibit you from carrying.

edit: I was just told that there may be laws in Texas that only allow you to have a valid Non-Resident CCW IF the state you are a resident of does not provide a legal way to obtain to CCW OR if you have a current CCW for that state you reside in. ? I don't know so best to check that out and make sure.

Last edited:

Jujen Kai

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ref a charge staying on your record: OSCN may clear it (I don't know this, just that it is possible), but any arrest wil remain visible on a criminal history inquiry by a LEO. It may be amended on the report to read "Charge Dismissed", but the arrest still displays. Many times it will simply say, "Referred to D.A." and the LEO is left with no indication of the disposition of that charge.

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I still have a Florida non-resident permit from when I had an IL driver's license and I've thought about biting the bullet and getting a OK permit for exactly this reason.

minman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had the same situation when I moved back here from Texas in 2006. I had just gotten my Texas CHL and it was good for 5 years, so I wasn't real keen on having to turn around and pay the cost and take the time to get a new OK CHL. So, I made sure that the Texas permit was good as a non-resident permit, which it was. I also called the Oklahoma SDA office twice to verify that it would be recognized. The OK SDA office stated BOTH times that the state of Oklahoma recognizes ANY valid concealed carry permit issued by another state. Enough said.

I carried the Texas permit without an Oklahoma permit until it expired at which time I then received my Oklahoma permit. I was stopped a few times while I was carrying, I presented my Tx permit and never had any issues with any of the officers that had pulled me over.

The original poster apparently just got unlucky enough to have been stopped by an officer who was ignorant of the law, and was not willing to be humble enough to check it out himself. At least it was resolved satisfactorily. For all you guys telling the OP to just get the OK permit, I have to ask why? The guy spent the time and money to get the TX permit, and they aren't cheap, neither is the OK permit. And it is a PERFECTLY VALID permit under the law in Oklahoma, so the guy has every right to carry it.

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been told that you can write the AG's office asking about this kind of thing. If you're worried about getting arrested, carry the AG's letter with you to show the police officer that what you're doing is legal.

EDIT: After looking on the AG's website you just write them asking for an opinion. They have all AG opinions since 1948 on the site, but I couldn't find anything about this specifically.

Dammit, actually:

The AG said:
the Attorney General shall not furnish opinions to any but district attorneys, the Legislature or either branch thereof, or any other state official, board, commission or department, and to them only upon matters in which they are officially interested.

There has to be someone on here who meets those qualifications.

Farther down it says

21 O.S. § 1290.26 provides the following: The State of Oklahoma hereby recognizes any valid concealed carry weapons permit or license issued by another state.

Any person entering this state in possession of a firearm authorized for concealed carry upon the authority and license of another state is authorized to continue to carry a concealed firearm and license in this state; provided the license from the other state remains valid. The firearm must be carried fully concealed from detection and view, and upon coming in contact with any peace officer of this state, the person must disclose the fact that he or she is in possession of a concealed firearm pursuant to a valid concealed carry weapons permit or license issued in another state.

Any person who is twenty-one (21) years of age or older having a valid firearm license from another state may apply for a concealed handgun license in this state immediately upon establishing a residence in this state. Oklahoman travelling out-of-state? - OSBI

This doesn't really address the issue of Oklahoma residents getting out-of-state permits though.

Last edited:

cowboydoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I carried on a non-resident permit for about 2 years after I moved back to Oklahoma. I emailed the OSBI to make sure I was legal and kept a copy of the reply in my glove box with my insurance papers. I also kept a copy saved on my phone. Fortunately I was never stopped to have to present my permit, but I was prepared. I got my OK CCW permit before my non-resident expired.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks, FAL Guy, for posting the relevant law; I was looking it up myself until I found your post.

The law simply says that any valid permit, of any state, is valid in Oklahoma. It doesn't fool around with residency or any other silliness; Oklahoma simply honors everything. It's a real shame that an ignorant officer can make a mistake that results in the innocent private citizen having to bear the cross of an arrest record.

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks, FAL Guy, for posting the relevant law; I was looking it up myself until I found your post.

The law simply says that any valid permit, of any state, is valid in Oklahoma. It doesn't fool around with residency or any other silliness; Oklahoma simply honors everything. It's a real shame that an ignorant officer can make a mistake that results in the innocent private citizen having to bear the cross of an arrest record.

Yeah, there's nothing saying it's *illegal* (which is what it means when something is legal), but it would be easier to have a letter or opinion from someone saying specifically that it's legal.

Latest posts

Top Bottom