Interesting use of an old tank.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It can be done, but it's going to take quite a bit of steel to do it. I'd guess you would need heavy vertical steel beams every 4'-5' and then at least 2 horizontal beams to run the length of the container on each side, one end and the roof. Even then, you may still see some inward bowing of the walls/roof when you bury it. Having cut and modified a container, I can tell you the sides and roof aren't very strong. A round tank laid horizontally would be much better.

120 Acres

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
www.dailyhaha.com__pics_redneck_tornado_shelter.jpg

orangpowr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have looked at the Shipping containers for shelter also and what they are doing to strengthen them cost as much as the container. One that has interested me was the poly pipe / drainage culverts. Guys are capping the ends and installing doors.

IronMLS72

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The problem with adding channel iron and welding it to the to corrugated metal on these containers to stiffen and prevent caving in, it is too thin. Even using a wire feeder to weld with the bottom just falls out and leaves holes. The best you could do is to "dob it up".... I would personally prefer the horizontal tank for a shelter to bury but the diameter size would have to be pretty large so one could add grating/ flooring in the bottom section and still have head room. The problem I figured I would have with the shipping container as a shelter is corrosion setting in on the exterior surfaces and shortening the life span. Once the corrosion eats through it and it starts taking on ground water, being thin to start with, you would be out of options and trying to patch steel that was too thin to weld to. I'm building one soon but I'm starting with .250" steel and using an exterior coating that is designed to protect underground pipelines. This is just my opinion on the shipping containers for shelters.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did extensive welding on the one I modified and, even though it is relatively thin material, it can be done. The boxes are made with "Cor-Ten" steel and are more resistant to atmospheric corrosion, but I'm not sure how long they would last if buried? And, as I stated earlier, every shipping container I have ever seen had a floor made of wood, while it works well for it's intended purpose, I doubt it would be waterproof or last long if buried.

You are correct, even though it is possible to brace and strengthen a container to the point that it could withstand being buried, it is not cost effective. A tank, designed to be buried, would be a much better solution.

IronMLS72

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree the flooring issue adds another notch to the "do not use" for me as well. I thought about buying one and putting it in ground beneath a shop concrete slab but have since flushed that plan. If I still put one under the shop it will be a tank or a box that I fabricate.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree the flooring issue adds another notch to the "do not use" for me as well. I thought about buying one and putting it in ground beneath a shop concrete slab but have since flushed that plan. If I still put one under the shop it will be a tank or a box that I fabricate.

I've heard of people setting septic tanks beneath concrete slabs for underground shelter.

Redmule454

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The potential problem I see is the container and especially tanks either sand-jacking or floating after a hard rain or rainy season. I have seen old abandoned filling stations where the tanks popped to the surface raising the concrete above them 2-3' above the surface.
Sand-jacking is where the tank floats a little and sand/dirt washes underneath and keeps the tank from settling back to it's original elevation. Little by little the tank is raised. This can continue until the tank is above grade.

Latest posts

Top Bottom