Iran Navy to patrol US East Coast

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WNM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Newser) – American ships patrol close to Iranian coasts, so the Iranians are going to send their own warships to patrol near the waters of one of the world's most "arrogant" powers, vows the head of Iran's navy. Rear Admiral Habibollah Sayyari, speaking at a ceremony marking the anniversary of the start of the Iran-Iraq War, said that "with the help of our sailors who follow the concept of the supreme jurisprudence," Iran will establish a strong presence near the US East Coast, Reuters reports.

Iran—which sent warships through the Suez Canal earlier this year for the first time since 1979—also plans to send ships to fight piracy in the Gulf of Aden. "We've been pushing freedom of the seas for years and the Iranian navy can go wherever it wants," a Pentagon spokesman said. Of course, another official added that if Iranian warships choose to approach America's marine borders, "they might have some company."

http://www.newser.com/story/129685/iran-our-navy-will-patrol-off-us-east-coast.html

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This could only end badly. If they are anything like the mexicans and find themselves lost frequently they bill be killed, this will be viewed as an act of war, yada yada yada. But if they wanna go ahead and let them, difference is they can afford to waste all that fuel, we cant.

Hump66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They have no capability of refueling at sea. They can't get across the Atlantic and back without refueling, and I highly doubt we would let them pull into one of our ports for fuel. When I was in the Gulf, the Iraqis complained about the rough waters(not even close to rough). I bet the Iranians wouldn't fare to well out on the open oceans.

tulsamal

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wasn't aware that Iran had a "blue water navy." I thought all they had was coastal patrol types of vessels. As was already said, if they have no tenders or experience, it's seems likely that this won't actually happen. They just want to release the statement saying they will do it. Then just never quite get around to it.

Gregg

Latest posts

Top Bottom