Is it possible to get a carry license with PTSD

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hipv125

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good day all,

I’m going to the VA to get my disability up and I’m a former guard infantryman that fought in Afghanistan. If I get diagnosed with PTSD will that stop me from being able to get a carry permit? Yes I know we are constitutional carry.

65ny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't think you'll have an issue. I don't recall any medical records involved with the application process.

hipv125

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are you currently undergoing or have you in the last 3 years undergone treatment by a licensed physician for a mental illness, condition or disorder?
For purposes of this application, "undergoing treatment for a mental illness, condition, or disorder" means the person has been diagnosed by a licensed physician as being afflicted with a substantial disorder of thought, mood, perception, psychological orientation, or memory that significantly impairs judgment, behavior, capacity to recognize reality, or ability to meet the ordinary demands of life.
If you answer “YES”, please download the MENTAL HEALTH CERTIFICATION FORM so that your treating physician can certify your eligibility. If form is not submitted with application, one will be mailed to you upon receipt of the application.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In broad terms, if you have a 100% rating due to PTSD and cannot handle your affairs, financial and otherwise due to that impairment, the VA MAY report you as a prohibited person.

Being diagnosed with PTSD at any level has never been grounds alone for restricting a veteran's firearm rights.

RETOKSQUID

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It has been a couple of years sense i have looked into this. But from what I can remember. If you are over 50% disabled from PTSD. You can not even get a gun.
Speaking from experience there's a crap ton of bad information out there on this. You have to be adjudicated by the VA as not being able to handle your own affairs, or as a danger to self/others just like in civilian court.

It could be the lowest rating available and if the head shrinkers provide documentation that you are a danger to your self or others they will start the process. At the same time you could be rated at the highest level and not be deemed a danger to anyone and they will leave you alone.

Looks like Corgi beat me to the punch.
∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Either way... Be calm cool and collected. Consider the questions/statments being made (by DR) and especially consider your responses. You never know what life expirence you Dr has that may make him biased to your situation

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
I don't think it matters unless you are impaired or something. PTSD doesn't mean you're nuts like the rest of the country thinks all vets are. But there's still a stigma that ain't going away anytime soon.
Are you currently undergoing or have you in the last 3 years undergone treatment by a licensed physician for a mental illness, condition or disorder?
For purposes of this application, "undergoing treatment for a mental illness, condition, or disorder" means the person has been diagnosed by a licensed physician as being afflicted with a substantial disorder of thought, mood, perception, psychological orientation, or memory that significantly impairs judgment, behavior, capacity to recognize reality, or ability to meet the ordinary demands of life.
If you answer “YES”, please download the MENTAL HEALTH CERTIFICATION FORM so that your treating physician can certify your eligibility. If form is not submitted with application, one will be mailed to you upon receipt of the application.
So you haven't been Diagnosed with anything yet or get anything from the VA? Then get your CCW.

If you are getting treatment and the Bold text applies, then I guess you have to report it and follow up with your physician treating you to say you're GTG.

I construe the Bold text as taking meds and regular mental assessments and seeing a Physician regularly. Doesn't say anything about counseling...counselors are not licensed physicians.
I guess it's a judgement call.

However, there is absolutely no way I would ever tell any organization especially the VA, I had PTSD whether I had it or not; I don't trust my former employer not to put me on a list. I never brought it up when I retired and I felt fine when asked, so a big fat no for me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom