Is Rock-N-Roll Finally Dead?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

Jckellison

"Yesterday was Thursday. Today it is Friday. Tomorrow it is Saturday. And Sunday comes afterwards." - Rebecca Black

Blame record companies...

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey hey, my my. Rock and roll can never die. There's more to the picture...sorry.

Who listens to the radio? The radio sucked in the 60's, it sucked in the 70's, it sucked in the 80's, it sucked during most of the 90's (the early 90's alt/indie boom had brief sting of decent radio, but the late 90's were horrible beyond measure) and it still sucks today. The reason people think popular music was better in the old days is because all the crap music has been forgotten and the good music survived in our memories. Go look at the awful, awful crap that was on the charts when Sabbath's first album hit the U.S.

http://www.inthe1970s.com/2011/07/22/70s-music-chart-february-21st-1970/

The internet makes is easy to be a music nerd, too. In the old days posters, shared tapes/cd's and fan zines were all that spread the word.

gregorius

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey hey, my my. Rock and roll can never die. There's more to the picture...sorry.

Who listens to the radio? The radio sucked in the 60's, it sucked in the 70's, it sucked in the 80's, it sucked during most of the 90's (the early 90's alt/indie boom had brief sting ot decent radio, but the late 90's were horrible beyond measure) and it still sucks today. The reason people think popular music was better in the old days is because all the crap music has been forgotten and the good music survived in our memories. Go look at the awful, awful crap that was on the charts when Sabbath's first album hit the U.S.

This, and I think nostalgia plays a pretty big role. You just get to the point where you associate music with memories and you find it hard to separate the two things, regardless of how bad the songs are. I think this explains all the Journey sing-a-longs at the HiLo.

I got a little lucky - I graduated from Choctaw HS in 1992 - the year that Nirvana broke and the year that Dr. Dre's The Chronic came out. I got the best rock radio era just as I was graduating. It was fleeting, but it fed my desire for good stuff and sent me deep into the search for more more more good music. Oh, and The Chronic was the apex of west coast gangsta rap. It never went anywhere from there but downhill - which explains why I don't listen to much hip-hop anymore, but at the time it was groundbreaking and it still holds up. Especially when I play it on vinyl.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OP, I bet come Friday night there'll be angry, drunken kids with loud guitars playing in dive bars, lounges and lofts across your fair city.

There's so much good music being made right now it's hard/impossible to keep up with it all.

That said - Punk rock died when the first kid said "Punk's not dead, punk's not dead"

50 cents to anyone who gets the reference!

Holy crap, a Silver Jews line. You are a music nerd. But, as a Malkmus band I have to say... "If you’re going to be horrible, at least, like, kick ass, like, you know, Jesus Lizard. They suck but they kick ass."

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For you metal guys, metal is probably more metal than metal ever was, at least until Matt Pike dies (or gets his teeth fixed).

Last edited by a moderator:

gregorius

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Holy crap, a Silver Jews line. You are a music nerd. But, as a Malkmus band I have to say... "If you’re going to be horrible, at least, like, kick ass, like, you know, Jesus Lizard. They suck but they kick ass."

Jesus Lizard would be my kind of horrible band. So much so that one of my fondest show memories was the Jesus Lizard at VZD's in OKC. It was scary as hell. Packed to the brim with people, the crowd was like one heaving organism. David Yow was at his violent, insane best that night and I got a boot in the head while he was crowd surfing for my troubles. Still, epic show. A band called US Maple opened and they were almost as epic.

Yes. Music nerd.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Leighton, try out 93.5 in Tulsa, called Chrome. Not bad, has a little bubble gum stuff on it, but some good 60's rock too. Not much classic hard rock, but the softer stuff of the 60's and 70's.

Thanks, but the softer stuff my wife may like. I have a packet of CD's that travel with me. I prefer Sabbath, Stone's, Doors, Pink Floyd, Yes, Tull, Iron Butterfly, Guess Who, Who, Zepplin, Styx, BTO, just to name a few.

Latest posts

Top Bottom