Is there still any interest in the tried and true Win .270

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since we're bringing this back up, I think the reason you don't see much in the way of 270 is the same reason you don't hear much about 25-06 anymore. Bullet development. Since there is progress in longer, more aerodynamic bullets, the twist rates of those rifles has not been increased to handle them. I'd guess that the slower twist rates of older guns just won't handle the new bullets and since the popularity of other calibers has boomed, there likely won't be much development on that front.

That being said, I love the old Remington 700s in 270. I've got a couple of them. I don't shoot them much because I've taken to collecting the old 700s and have quite a few calibers to chose from. The hardest part of deer season is deciding which rifle to take.

Dorkus

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Since we're bringing this back up, I think the reason you don't see much in the way of 270 is the same reason you don't hear much about 25-06 anymore. Bullet development. Since there is progress in longer, more aerodynamic bullets, the twist rates of those rifles has not been increased to handle them. I'd guess that the slower twist rates of older guns just won't handle the new bullets and since the popularity of other calibers has boomed, there likely won't be much development on that front.

That being said, I love the old Remington 700s in 270. I've got a couple of them. I don't shoot them much because I've taken to collecting the old 700s and have quite a few calibers to chose from. The hardest part of deer season is deciding which rifle to take.
Do you think it could also be the drive of younger shooters to the "shiny new caliber"? I mean a .270 Winchester does not sound as cool as a 6.5 Creedmore. :burnout:

ChrisWilson

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do you think it could also be the drive of younger shooters to the "shiny new caliber"? I mean a .270 Winchester does not sound as cool as a 6.5 Creedmore. :burnout:
I think it is, the younger crowd likes to watch what the YouTube commandos recommend and the gun magazines promote, always jumping on the newest craze bandwagon, plus I thought you had to have a Man-Bun to own any thing with creedmoor in it!!! :) Course this is coming from someone who owns 5 45/70s, and between my 300mag, 270, 6.5x55 and 22 theres nothing I cant hunt! My 270 is an older Model 70 I got when my father in law passed, shoots awesome for me, nice crisp trigger pull, the only accuracy problems it has is me, I tend to get excited when I see a nice deer but I've used it two take a two deer so far. The longest was about 350yrds. We hunt over an open pasture that borders a wooded creek and can see animals way out farther than I'd ever want to shoot. But it does open up the option of what rifle you want to use today!!!

Last edited:

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh, absolutely. PRS and long range hunting has all but decimated the middle ground of hunting rounds. It's either extremely accurate rifles with little to no kick or massive cases with heavy bullets. I've been a little guilty of the heavy for caliber stuff myself.

ForsakenConservative

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My Savage 116 in 270….as I’ve said elsewhere, it will be the one pried from my cold, dead hands.
IMG_0244.jpegIMG_0242.jpeg
I did get some time behind a friends new Bergara in 6.5 cm, and it is one sweet shooter.
I have simply no desire to chase the newest latest hotness. The fun/challenge for me is to find out just what can be done with what I own.

StLPro2A

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just wondering if there is still people out there looking for a oldie but goodie cartridge The.270
Recently bought anotherBarrett Fieldcraft...number 7 as I recall...... in .270Win specifically for that cartridge.....would have bought in any cartridge due to serious lack of adult supervision and way too much money available. :) :) :) Have 270 in numerous platforms, use for deer and antelope hunting with great success...and it keeps Jack O'Connor from over spinning in his grave.

Latest posts

Top Bottom