Is there still any interest in the tried and true Win .270

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Rasberry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Personally I like the exotic and weird calibers but I own multiple 270 Winchester cause its amazing cartridge thats proven throughout the years. I like the ammo availability, performance and how easy it is to reload. The 270 Win is very versatile and can take all the game in Oklahoma. Plus some of the lightweight rifle options are just awesome in the caliber. I know some may not like it cause its in a standard/long action but thats something I have no issues with.

ClintC

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m just going to say it. The 270 is a great round for deer. But with modern rifle cartridges with less recoil there are now better options. Truthfully most deer are taken within 200 yards, or standard still at a feeder. With that being said, I have shot deer with a AR rifle. It was within the 100 yard range. Will I get rid of my 270 win NO can I use something with less recoil YES. My option and my choice.

Cat City Slim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My only experience with 270 Win was a Winchester Model 70 Classic. That was the most beautiful rifle I ever owned. The stock on it was stunning. Unfortunately it shot like crap. Out of the box it had the worst trigger I ever experienced. My gunsmith told me it was so heavy it maxed out their trigger scale. I could never get better than around 3 moa out of it even after trying multiple loads. I wound up trading it off, which was sad because I really wanted to live it. Incidentally I don’t remember the recoil being very heavy.

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My only experience with 270 Win was a Winchester Model 70 Classic. That was the most beautiful rifle I ever owned. The stock on it was stunning. Unfortunately it shot like crap. Out of the box it had the worst trigger I ever experienced. My gunsmith told me it was so heavy it maxed out their trigger scale. I could never get better than around 3 moa out of it even after trying multiple loads. I wound up trading it off, which was sad because I really wanted to live it. Incidentally I don’t remember the recoil being very heavy.
It's funny how different rifles behave. Your experience with that rifle was bad but I have a Winchester Ranger (model 670) in .270 that I got from Walmart in the mid-80s (back when it was Wal-Mart). Ugliest thing I own. Stock looks like a 2x4 and the scope is a Bushnell I might have paid $50 for. Had to deepen the bolt cut out in the stock to keep the bolt handle from hitting. Under an inch at 100yds all day, every day.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's funny how different rifles behave. Your experience with that rifle was bad but I have a Winchester Ranger (model 670) in .270 that I got from Walmart in the mid-80s (back when it was Wal-Mart). Ugliest thing I own. Stock looks like a 2x4 and the scope is a Bushnell I might have paid $50 for. Had to deepen the bolt cut out in the stock to keep the bolt handle from hitting. Under an inch at 100yds all day, every day.
I had a buddy with one just as you described - el cheapo, ugly wood. He had a cheap scope die on him and wanted me to mount a new one and bed the action. I told him I'd do it but he had to put a Leupold on it. He bought one, and I took care of him. He could not believe how well that rifle performed after that.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So I picked up the Savage today at Cabela's in OKC. While filling out the 4473 I asked one of the gun counter guys if they were following the new allowance for adding our SDA info on line 29 in lieu of the NICs check and the guy looked at me like I was from Mars. He had no clue what I meant. I tried to explain what I was saying a couple of times, but ultimately just gave up.

OlBrownTruck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Model 70 Ranger in 30-06. Trigger was TERRIBLE when I got it. Long, heavy travel that felt really gritty. You'd swear it wasn't going to break.
So...
I took it apart and disassembled the trigger. Took a file to the sear surfaces to shorten the travel, then polished the surfaces with a whetstone. I backed off the tension spring to a very light pull. Now it breaks very crisp, and shoots a one-hole four shot group that you can cover with a dime at 100 yards.
It's funny how different rifles behave. Your experience with that rifle was bad but I have a Winchester Ranger (model 670) in .270 that I got from Walmart in the mid-80s (back when it was Wal-Mart). Ugliest thing I own. Stock looks like a 2x4 and the scope is a Bushnell I might have paid $50 for. Had to deepen the bolt cut out in the stock to keep the bolt handle from hitting. Under an inch at 100yds all day, every

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1524344331771~2.jpg
    FB_IMG_1524344331771~2.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Top Bottom