IT consult

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If the server hosted PII or other protected info, I'd just wipe the drives with a boot disc/USB as already mentioned, then smash them with a sledge hammer. You could probably sell the rest of it here in the classifieds or on FB marketplace for the right price (no idea what it would be).

If the server didn't host anything as you said had only 12hrs of use, then you could wipe the drives and donate or sell...someone will probably run Linux on it anyway.

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been a Windows Server Admin for 20+ years. I would remove the hard drive and use a hammer/punch to destroy the platters. If it's SSD remove the board and microwave the sucker for 20 seconds. Throw the rest in the can. Every company I've ever worked for "you would recognize them all" paid to have them destroyed not donated. After we wiped them with multiple passes to DOD standards.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been a Windows Server Admin for 20+ years. I would remove the hard drive and use a hammer/punch to destroy the platters. If it's SSD remove the board and microwave the sucker for 20 seconds. Throw the rest in the can. Every company I've ever worked for "you would recognize them all" paid to have them destroyed not donated. After we wiped them with multiple passes to DOD standards.
We used to have fun taking drives apart and playing around with the magnets. :blush:

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Honestly, looking at the specs on the dell website the core value of the system right now is in the drives. Those 2TB ones in that format are solid units. The processor is good but roughly the equivalent of about a 10 year old i7. Memory isn't bad (I believe DDR4, but a 16GB kit of that is like $50 these days).

The server OS could be upgraded if someone had a license of course but running with a dated core/motherboard would severely limit usefulness going forward.

I'd say be careful of paying too much attention to online pricing. My observation as to what tends to happen is that older hardware gets and inverse price bump because businesses might be operating on that, have a failure and need and exact replacement, so out of date hardware can go up in price compared to more modern stuff. For instance, in the consumer space, the older processors still sell high when new chips come out.

If you felt comfortable, you could get something like Boot N Nuke and blow the drives away and then donate it. Or if you wanted to get rid of them I know a guy you could ship to that'd take care of it for you if you didn't want them back ;) ;)

Overall it's a solid box but finding it a new home might be a challenge. You could also pull the parts and sell them individually (PSU, processor, board etc) and might wind up ahead. If you sold complete on eBay then the size/weight would hurt on shipping a lot compared to a parts sale.

Latest posts

Top Bottom