It's time to plant...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

subprep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the potato thread (nice rows btw) got me to thinking Its time to start planting. But what is it time to start planting? I look at the farmers almanac and that chart looks like math and my brain goes huh?:scratch: so if you all wanted to be so kind for dummies like me who can't seem to :rtfm: and comprehend, perhaps you could reply?? :kiss: and if you could specify seed or plant that would be awesome of you :bowdown:

subprep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
replying to myself here.. for instance
Peas I 'think' its time for me to plant peas but maybe its to early? I know I direct sow peas.

onions?
potatos? <-im assuming now is the time to plant
carrots?
Tomatoes? im going to start seeds under my lights do you all think this is a good time to start seeds?
beans?

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Onions can go in now for the most part. They'll last even if we get a late, light freeze.

Potatoes - in the ground now for good late spring harvest or early summer harvest.

Carrots need a bit longer. If you're starting from seed, you can start now, Once soil temps come up, your seedlings will be ready

Tomatoes - same as carrots. If you're starting from seed, they can be started in a hot house (or lamps) right now and be ready with spring temps.

Beans - Too early. Start seedlings mid march, in the ground by late march but definitely well after the last freeze, again ground temps are key.

Peas are early spring, after the last freeze, no chance of frost. sub freezing temps will kill 'em dead dead dead.

subprep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Onions can go in now for the most part. They'll last even if we get a late, light freeze.

Potatoes - in the ground now for good late spring harvest or early summer harvest.

Carrots need a bit longer. If you're starting from seed, you can start now, Once soil temps come up, your seedlings will be ready

Tomatoes - same as carrots. If you're starting from seed, they can be started in a hot house (or lamps) right now and be ready with spring temps.

Beans - Too early. Start seedlings mid march, in the ground by late march but definitely well after the last freeze, again ground temps are key.

Peas are early spring, after the last freeze, no chance of frost. sub freezing temps will kill 'em dead dead dead.

amazing. Thank you!

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Potatoes and onions in the ground outside now. 3 weeks later you can plant another row of potatoes for some later fresh potatoes. Starting Tomatoes inside are perfect timing anytime in the next 2 weeks.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wrote the plant date down somewhere, but we planted peas too early last year and got hit with a late season freeze. It didn't wipe them out, but it sure did stunt them. My brother already has carrots at his house, but we are going to plant some in the big garden in the next couple weeks.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Putting my potatoes, onions, and garlic in the ground this week. Tomatoes, peppers, broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts (seed) under the lights.

Cabbage, lettuces, turnips, spinach, carrots (seed)....... weekend after next.

Squash, zucchini, eggplant, beans, peas (seed)........ first week of Apr.

Corn ......... first week of May.

Okra ......... Mid-May

OKGlocker

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Putting my potatoes, onions, and garlic in the ground this week. Tomatoes, peppers, broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts (seed) under the lights.

Cabbage, lettuces, turnips, spinach, carrots (seed)....... weekend after next.

Squash, zucchini, eggplant, beans, peas (seed)........ first week of Apr.

Corn ......... first week of May.

Okra ......... Mid-May

Plant your garlic in the fall, let 'em overwinter, and they will make much bigger bulbs...

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here is an interesting way to grow potatoes. I've done this for several years, but had to quit as the gophers come along and eat the bottom from the potato.

don't dig anything. Just pick a row, and put your potato eyes on top of the ground. Pile wheat straw a foot or more deep on top of them and to the side. As the straw settles, you might have to add a little more.
The tops will peek through the straw in a month, and in another month you can lift up the edge of the straw, reach under and pick what you need for the day. The plant will continue to produce until late June when the ground temps start getting too high causing rot.

Latest posts

Top Bottom