It's time to plant...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Here is an interesting way to grow potatoes. I've done this for several years, but had to quit as the gophers come along and eat the bottom from the potato.

don't dig anything. Just pick a row, and put your potato eyes on top of the ground. Pile wheat straw a foot or more deep on top of them and to the side. As the straw settles, you might have to add a little more.
The tops will peek through the straw in a month, and in another month you can lift up the edge of the straw, reach under and pick what you need for the day. The plant will continue to produce until late June when the ground temps start getting too high causing rot.

Trying this this year.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Did that last with my taters last year. After harvest just till the straw in. It worked well and was less work than normal plant and dig.

Will have to try the garlic in the winter garden. Haven't had a lot of luck on LARGE size, but the bulbs are strong flavored.

okie98

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My wife started her tomato seeds last night. Potatoes are cut and ready to go in the ground. Looks like we are off to the races for another year.

subprep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Onion question. I assume all ya'll are talking about onion sets? I have grown onions from seed for the last couple of years but I went ahead and bought some sets today. I guess I can seed and set?

Latest posts

Top Bottom