I've killed more tomato plants than Heinz.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom's Thumb

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I can't seem to grow decent tomatoes here in the Tulsa area. I've planted them in the ground, in pots and in raised plots.

I grew some nice maters in Indiana, but I failed five years straight here.

I've deliberately underwatered them, overwatered them, and watered in the middle.

Do any of you in the Tulsa/BA/Bixby area have any luck with tomatoes? How often do you water them? Do you add anything like Miraclegro? What's your secret?

spamby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I live in BA. Grow tomatos every year. I water them everyday. But the bugs are eating more than I am this year. My squash plants also.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
First thing to do if putting in a garden or a farm is to get a soil sample.
It doesn't matter where you came from, or if its next door. Get a soil sample and treat the soil accordingly.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mine are hanging on, big and green, but I planted late and I don't think they flowered before the heat came.

I've read/seen that if the plants don't flower before the nighttime temps get above 75ish and daytime temps get above the 90's you might have trouble getting fruit. Anyone else heard this?

mike miller

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is just A BAD YEAR for any garden produce. I have two plants that have never bloomed. A friend of mine daughter sold 900 lbs of tomatoes off of his plants last year and this year has not had any. Green beans went with the hail. A few zucinni and a few cucumbers . I put them in earlier this year than last just no luck. Water twice a day miracle grow once a week just not doing it.

Model 70

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I planted my tomatoes in the cut off bottoms of plastic barrels. They are growing well but the blooms keep burning up in the afternoon sun.
By the way, anyone noticed that the bee population seems to be nearly zero?

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Latest posts

Top Bottom