I've killed more tomato plants than Heinz.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKfella

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mine are hanging on, big and green, but I planted late and I don't think they flowered before the heat came.

I've read/seen that if the plants don't flower before the nighttime temps get above 75ish and daytime temps get above the 90's you might have trouble getting fruit. Anyone else heard this?

Yeah, this is true, they won't set fruit in this kind of heat. The blossoms, if you get any, will just fall off.

You can try to force some fruit, though. Watch for a cool down on the forecast, like a little rain coming through or whatever. A few days prior to that cool down, apply a blooming fertilizer, something with a much higher middle number. This will bring on blossoms, and, if all goes well, you will set some fruit during the short cool period.

The only other option is to plant some grape and cherry tomatoes. These will set pretty well even in the high heat.

Good luck!

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The only other option is to plant some grape and cherry tomatoes. These will set pretty well even in the high heat.

Good luck!

That makes sense...I've got a couple of those that are giving fruit but the larger varieties are just sitting 'in flower'. They haven't fallen off yet, just no fruit.

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have several hundred maters on the vines right now. I've been picking them just about every night and there will be several more that I'll have to pick tonight. I'm sorta new to gardening. It's addicting, it's so bad that I planted okra....and I hate okra.

voodoobass

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
We got pretty lucky this year. LOTS of tomato's! I planted pretty early, before Easter, and bought larger plants from dear old wally world. I think that helped, since several of my coworkers are having no luck, and they started with the smaller plants. I water every other day, pour some miracle grow pellets on occasionally, and thats about it. Have given away several sacks full at work and made a ton of salsa.

As far as the zukes, cukes squash, lettuce and peas go, The results haven't been as good. The heat burned the peas right up as they were just getting ready for picking. The others have produced, but not in big numbers. I think we just got lucky by planting early, gave the plants a head start on beating this major heat wave. I expect most of the garden to shrivel and die if this keeps up much longer though. Now I'm starting to get a grasp on just how tough things can be for REAL farmers. My hats off to anyone who is brave enough to do it for a living!

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
We got pretty lucky this year. LOTS of tomato's! I planted pretty early, before Easter, and bought larger plants from dear old wally world. I think that helped, since several of my coworkers are having no luck, and they started with the smaller plants. I water every other day, pour some miracle grow pellets on occasionally, and thats about it. Have given away several sacks full at work and made a ton of salsa.

As far as the zukes, cukes squash, lettuce and peas go, The results haven't been as good. The heat burned the peas right up as they were just getting ready for picking. The others have produced, but not in big numbers. I think we just got lucky by planting early, gave the plants a head start on beating this major heat wave. I expect most of the garden to shrivel and die if this keeps up much longer though. Now I'm starting to get a grasp on just how tough things can be for REAL farmers. My hats off to anyone who is brave enough to do it for a living!

Me and the wife picked a bag full of maters tonight. My jalepenos, bell peppers, and cukes have been doing GREAT...picking plenty. My corn is a different story. Not sure if it's grasshoppers or worms, but something is tearing them up and they are mighty frail. In all honesty, It wouldn't bug me too much if not much made it - I'm gardening simply for the pleasure of doing it. Nothing is more soothing that going out and messing with the garden.........................god, I'm getting old.

Vamoose

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know how anyone grows anything but weeds in this heat. Some people just have the knack and knowhow I guess. I gave up on tomatoes years ago. I just go to the farmer's market for real tomatoes now. It saves a bundle of time and disappointment.

Latest posts

Top Bottom