I've killed more tomato plants than Heinz.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
The hot sun is killing the blooms on my habenero plants. I've got a few good looking peppers coming in though. I can't wait to take the challenge.
I made sure to plant my peppers behind some taller plants and ran the row north and south (I think this makes a huge difference), that way they would only get "partial" sun. I learned my lesson about burnt blooms last year. I do a heavy soak watering every evening, etc. This year they are producing very well.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That makes sense...I've got a couple of those that are giving fruit but the larger varieties are just sitting 'in flower'. They haven't fallen off yet, just no fruit.

Latest thing I read is to put some shade on them. Not total shade, but some of the stuff you can get partial shade, and put a mister under it to keep the plants cooler.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We also give our peppers a heavy soak every night Matt. Getting some production, but I wish it was better.

ai306.photobucket.com_albums_nn269_dustingaunder_Gardening_35b35d14.jpg

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Latest thing I read is to put some shade on them. Not total shade, but some of the stuff you can get partial shade, and put a mister under it to keep the plants cooler.

...heard that. We put some screening up when the temps really started climbing. I think that has at least kept the plants from withering away.

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dustin, I feel for you trying to grow them in pots. I usually have to take my out of the pots and put them into the ground to have a whole lot of success, the water just evaporates too quickly I guess. I do think peppers require a bit of shade though, full sun always seems to put mine in bad shape.

For what it's worth, I have a cherry tomato plant that was in a pot and it died....well, I thought it did. I watered it plenty and gave it a lot of sun but it still withering away and pretty much went to a brown nothingness. I then sat the pot back towards the house where it really didn't get any sun. Last week, out of the blue..the plant is back and looking great! I couldn't believe it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom