Jones Riverside Airport Hangar Explodes In Flames Early Thursday

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bulbboy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Jones Riverside Airport Hangar Explodes In Flames Early Thursday

http://www.newson6.com/story/148254...port-hangar-explodes-in-flames-early-thursday

TULSA, Oklahoma -- Exploding ammunition delayed firefighters' efforts to fight a fire in a hangar at Jones Riverside Airport early Thursday morning.

The Tulsa Fire Department says callers reported a huge explosion at about 1:30 a.m. at a hangar on the north end of the airport located on South Elwood Drive.

A number of neighbors reported being awakened by the explosion.

When Tulsa and Jenks firefighters arrived, they couldn't approach the hangar because of ammunition exploding inside. Firefighters waited for the fire to die down, then found some 50 mm casings in the burned-out hangar, which had numerous bullet holes.

Authorities say there weren't any airplanes in the hangar.

No one was injured.

PSO had to be called out to repair power lines knocked down by the fire.

Investigators are working to find out why ammunition was stored in the hangar. There is no word on who owns the hangar.

SeaLevelRam

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it was 50mm and not .50 Cal, whoever leased that hanger better have some explaining to do.

Anyone seen a Panzer Mark III in the Jones area. The driver may be missing some of his ammo....

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It was .50 cal, not 50mm. Reporting error. Two small planes were lost as well. One was an antique Stearman biplane in the restoration phase. :(

JRSherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It was .50 cal, not 50mm. Reporting error. Two small planes were lost as well. One was an antique Stearman biplane in the restoration phase. :(

I wouldn't quite classify a Stearman as a small plane, but it's a hell of a loss at any rate. I hope that guy had insurance too, Stearmans are getting up there these days, no pun intended.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wouldn't quite classify a Stearman as a small plane, but it's a hell of a loss at any rate. I hope that guy had insurance too, Stearmans are getting up there these days, no pun intended.

Well it's under 12-5, which is what I call "small" on a professional level. :)

Sucks to loose a classic like that though. :(

Latest posts

Top Bottom