Just back from BDC and I suck

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bifocals suck. That is all.

I agree.

I don't care what anyone says, red dots and lasers are great for old eyes!

Bifocal do indeed suck. But not being able to see anything sucks worse. I have to pause every now and then and chuckle, to think how we used to shoot at 200, 300 and 500 yards, with iron sights, just for annual re-quals with the rifle back in my USMC days. Dang, I doubt I could even see the target at 500 yard anymore, much less that bullseye. That thing looked like a little pin-dot sitting on top of the front sight post. Now, I have a hard time just getting that stinkin' front sight in focus. I'm seriously thinking of putting a red dot on my new Ruger MK IV. But tomorrow, I plan on going to the range and I'll just bang away through my dang bifocals and hope for the best.

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bifocal do indeed suck. But not being able to see anything sucks worse. I have to pause every now and then and chuckle, to think how we used to shoot at 200, 300 and 500 yards, with iron sights, just for annual re-quals with the rifle back in my USMC days. Dang, I doubt I could even see the target at 500 yard anymore, much less that bullseye. That thing looked like a little pin-dot sitting on top of the front sight post. Now, I have a hard time just getting that stinkin' front sight in focus. I'm seriously thinking of putting a red dot on my new Ruger MK IV. But tomorrow, I plan on going to the range and I'll just bang away through my dang bifocals and hope for the best.

What red dot do you have?

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm going to try something tomorrow with eyeglasses and shooting as an experiment. I'll let you know how it goes. This completely depends if I not at death's door with this darn thing I've got. Can't do the stay in bed all day tomorrow.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oh ok. I had a Sparc II which is a tube type red dot on my Lite and I hated it on there. Couldnt find the dot. The non tube type may be way better. I have never shot with one.
I have the Bushnell Trophy tube type on my Competition Ruger Mark III Hunter with the multiple reticles that are selectable and a choice of green or red.
I saw all the guys using the C-more sights, and thought I'd try the Burris Fast Fire III. With the adapter for the rear sight dove tail, I was out $300. First match out with it, was a disaster. The grip I was normally used to didn't work with the Burris. I had to take an unnatural grip as the muzzle seemed to always be pointing down, and I couldn't ever find the dot after the first shot.
Finally found out that I had to grip the gun with the death grip and slow down movement to keep the dot in the reticle.
In a sport like steel challenge, a couple tenths of a second can mean the difference in 1st and 5th or worse.
To give it a chance, I shot close to a thousand rounds of .22 at our range trying to get used to it.
Went from the top of the leaderboard to the bottom in scores.
I put the Bushnell back on last Wednesday, shooting steel at the OKC Gun Club and moved back to the top.
There is a difference in red dots. If your going to use it at aimed shots with 2 second intervals, just about any red dot is going to work. If you need it for really fast work, you might have to go through some to find one that works for you and your pistol.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have the Bushnell Trophy tube type on my Competition Ruger Mark III Hunter with the multiple reticles that are selectable and a choice of green or red.
I saw all the guys using the C-more sights, and thought I'd try the Burris Fast Fire III. With the adapter for the rear sight dove tail, I was out $300. First match out with it, was a disaster. The grip I was normally used to didn't work with the Burris. I had to take an unnatural grip as the muzzle seemed to always be pointing down, and I couldn't ever find the dot after the first shot.
Finally found out that I had to grip the gun with the death grip and slow down movement to keep the dot in the reticle.
In a sport like steel challenge, a couple tenths of a second can mean the difference in 1st and 5th or worse.
To give it a chance, I shot close to a thousand rounds of .22 at our range trying to get used to it.
Went from the top of the leaderboard to the bottom in scores.
I put the Bushnell back on last Wednesday, shooting steel at the OKC Gun Club and moved back to the top.
There is a difference in red dots. If your going to use it at aimed shots with 2 second intervals, just about any red dot is going to work. If you need it for really fast work, you might have to go through some to find one that works for you and your pistol.
You have used the Dove Tail adapter and I was thinking of trying one with a trijicon rmr but it looks like the sights are setting so high on the slide.
What do you think about the dove tail as an adapter for a rmr?

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man I tried to like it but no matter what, when I threw the gun up for a shot the dot just wasnt there. Trying to kill critters after dark is the only reason I wanted it on there and I lost several because I couldnt find the dot fast enough. I thought maybe the window type would be easier to find the dot in but I've never shot one. If I had one I could cowitness with irons it might work for me but for now Ill just stick to irons.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You have used the Dove Tail adapter and I was thinking of trying one with a trijicon rmr but it looks like the sights are setting so high on the slide.
What do you think about the dove tail as an adapter for a rmr?
The dove tail adapter puts the burris really low to the bore axis and at the rear of the gun which sounds like a good thing. IMHO, the red dot needs to be closer to the middle part of the pistol. Wiggle the pistol back and forth while gripping it. Where does the most movement take place and where does the least amount take place? The most takes place at the rear of the pistol, and at the muzzle. The least is center mass. That's where I want my dot. I also use the biggest dot that I can get, preferring the big circle with the dot in the middle on the pistol, and the same on my rifle. Keep in mind I'm talking speed shooting where if the dot drifts out of sight, the edge of the circle may still be visible allowing for an instant correction. Other disciplines might make the Burris rear mount a better choice. For me, it wasn't.

Latest posts

Top Bottom